The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Just trying to get an overall opinion of the best route to take on lighting for my tank. Right now i have a regular flourescent fixture, the one that came fitting into the hood. I think i am ready to jump into the t5 lighting, with night lights and all, but i don't really know if its the best for my tank. I have a few shrimp, snails, clowns, a threadfin butterfly, sailfin tang, fiji spotted puffer, and a red tip bubble anemone in my 55g. All live rock as well, and i might be interested in more anemones/corals in the near future

Would it be good to get the light that attaches to the sides of the tank and hovers over it, and then use a glass cover? Any advice/ideas would be very helpful here, because i am a newbie at this whole thing. thanks everyone.

jim

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
since you have an anemone, you really should get some better lighting ASAP. anemones require very strong lighting. T5's should be enough, but i think you need to be the 4-5w per gallon or above to be sure.

you do not want to put a glass cover on the tank. this will lead to heat problems and gas exchange problems.

as for the mounting type it is all up to you. whichever you think would be easier for your setup. hanging setups are nice and easily worked around.

G~

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i use the light that has the stands that attach to the sides of the tank, do i leave the tank open then? Do you think any of the fish i have will cause problems with that? Also do you recomend any specific brands or lighting setups?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didn't know glass tops would cause problems. Actually I was thinking on getting one to protect the light in my canopy. Any other idea to protect the lights from getting wet?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think i might go with this setup.
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/lighting_Outer_Orbit.htm
it looks like it covers all of the aspects that i was looking for in a light. Only questions are, 1) do you all think this is a good setup? 2) is it better to hang it from the ceiling or stand it on the tank? 3) lastly, do i leave the tank open water, or use a glass cover? thanks again

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
That is a great light perfect for your tank I would get it,DONT use glass covers ever.I have one arriving this Friday I will set it on top of the tank with the legs,that way the light will penetrate deeper into the tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks casey. So an open topped tank should be fine then? just watch out for evaporation a little more iguess right?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yep you will have more evap but just top off frequent,it also helps with heat issues to have open top.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again casey. hopefully i'll have that light soon. I think it'll make a big difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts