The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just looking for some advice for my lighting upgrade. On my 5ft reef tank I currently have limited lighting.

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 5ft metal halide. It's a Giesemann Moonlight 260 second hand from a friend. It's a few years old. He claims he thousands for it. It has 2 x 250 watt MH, 2 x 39 (maybe 54) watt actinic (I think are only T8's) and 2 moonlights. It also has the inbuilt computer and all that moon-phase stuff. I can purchase this unit for $1000. What are your opinions on this fixture? The price? Would this be sufficient for a 24" deep tank?

·
13 years old and learning
332 Posts
I would not bother to pay 1000 dollars for a setup like that one, you could very easily buy a metal halide fixture thats cheaper, many come with t5s and LED moonlights built into them for probably close to half the price. For the moon phase you could just buy some cheap timers from walmart and set the actinics to go on first and then the halides.

In my opinion however, I would go for a completely LED or T5 setup. Way less heat and energy costs. Tek T5 light fixtures are really good, and Sol LEDs are great as well. Good luck with the tank.-Joe

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
I would just follow the fs threads and visit your local reef club and grab a dual 250W ballast and 2 250W lumenbright or lumenmax reflectors. Going that route I wouldn't be surprised if you paid $300. That leaves you $700 to come up with actinics and or moonlights. I would bet that if you tried hard enough you could get the MH's,Actinics,ML and a reefkeeper lite or aquacontroller jr for under $1000.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a T5 fixture would be suggested over a MH one? I think LED would be to expensive. The guy selling me the light thinks MH is the best.. But eh.

I live in rural Australia, there is no real reef club, and I have to travel several hours to get second hand stuff as most don't ship, so it becomes difficult to find good priced second hand items... =l I can't afford new stuff, but it's hard to actually get the opportunity to even purchase used stuff. But still, if it's a waste of money I guess I will continue to troll ebay, gumtree,.. MASA :) So annoying...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a new ATI 6 or 8 x 54watt T5 fixture be a better option? I know at least with that you can arrange more type of bulb configurations, and I don't really mind about the moon rise/ moon set stuff that the Giesemann MH I was looking at offers.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Would a new ATI 6 or 8 x 54watt T5 fixture be a better option? I know at least with that you can arrange more type of bulb configurations, and I don't really mind about the moon rise/ moon set stuff that the Giesemann MH I was looking at offers.
With a 6 or 8 bulb t5 fixture you should be able to keep pretty much anything. Assuming that the fixture has quality reflectors, which I believe the ATI does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts