The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my first tank right now(its a 55 gallon) i came across some free used equipment and i was wondering if it was ok to use it without contaminating a tank (some power heads, heater, air pump, and a complete quarantine setup) I also just got a red sea prizm deluxe which came with a filter media basket that sits inside the skimmer. Will this take care of all my filtration needs (aside from live rock, planning on 50-60lbs) or will i need some kind of power filter?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I don't think you will contaminate anything, but one thing I would be concerned of is the heater...make sure it works properly before you add any livestock...they can boil your water pretty quickly :)

I would say, you should not need any othe filter, but the smarter people will chime in soon ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm setting up my first tank right now(its a 55 gallon) i came across some free used equipment and i was wondering if it was ok to use it without contaminating a tank (some power heads, heater, air pump, and a complete quarantine setup) I also just got a red sea prizm deluxe which came with a filter media basket that sits inside the skimmer. Will this take care of all my filtration needs (aside from live rock, planning on 50-60lbs) or will i need some kind of power filter?
Free is always good (although it ends up causing you to spend more money in this hobby! lol).

In terms of filtration, think about the three primary filtration mechanisms:

Mechanical
Biological
Chemical

You will probably use a combination of all three, but with suffiecient quantities of quality live rock (read porosity) and good skimming, you should be good to go. Don't skimp on the skimming. Will you be installing The Red Sea Prizm Deluxe as a hang over the back (HOB) skimmer or in-sump? I'd opt for the latter, especially given that your tank is only 55 gallons. The additional water volume provided in the sump will help stabalize your system. Are you going to have a sand bed?

Keep us posted! Here are a few articles that might prove useful:
Sump-Based Filtration - The Basics About Sumps for Your Saltwater Tank

Sump-Based Protein Skimmers - Protein Skimming is the Most Important Sump-Based Filtration Method

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning to hang it on the back, i dont have a sump, or much room for one, so i think this is the best choice for me. it is rated for a 100 gallon tank so i think it should be good, will carbon in the media basked take care of the mechanical part?

i was planning on 50-60 lbs live rock and around 20 lbs sand for around 1.5" of sand. although ive heard mixed things about sand, i want a natural looking tank.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

You probably will be OK with the setup you are describing. But keep in mind that you won't need the air pump, also the Prizm's capacity is WAY overrated (it may not be enough for your 55 gal tank, depending on what you have in there). As far as lighting is concerned, what type of things do you plan on keeping in your tank? Fish only or fish and corals? If fish only, you need very little light, if corals, then you have to ask yourself what kinds of corals you want. There are some beginnner corals that do well with low to moderate lights, and others that require very intense lighting. This article is a good start on learning what you need for a reef tank.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/faq.php?faq=reef_articles#faq_sywart

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks hng. have you/friends used the prism? it was reccomended by lfs and got good reviews online. what do you think about the integrated media basket? will it be adequate mechanical/chemical filtration or do you think i will need a power filter?

i was planning on starting just fish but maybe moving to the reef side later and i came up with a list of fish and inverts i would like to keep:
2 ocellaris clown
hawaiian flame angel
regal tang
blue mandarin
diamond watchman goby
2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
10-15 blue leg hermits
also snails, but there are so many species!
an anenome and maybe a hawaiian feather duster
not sure, but i have plenty of time to decide. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was planning to hang it on the back, i dont have a sump, or much room for one, so i think this is the best choice for me. it is rated for a 100 gallon tank so i think it should be good, will carbon in the media basked take care of the mechanical part?

i was planning on 50-60 lbs live rock and around 20 lbs sand for around 1.5" of sand. although ive heard mixed things about sand, i want a natural looking tank.
Carbon is considered chamical filtration, and it is worth reading up on the use of carbon before introducing carbon media to your system. Mechanical filtartion comes in the form of a filter sock, a protein skimmer, a filter sponge, etc.

·
Registered
586 Posts
thanks hng. have you/friends used the prism? it was reccomended by lfs and got good reviews online. what do you think about the integrated media basket? will it be adequate mechanical/chemical filtration or do you think i will need a power filter?

i was planning on starting just fish but maybe moving to the reef side later and i came up with a list of fish and inverts i would like to keep:
2 ocellaris clown
hawaiian flame angel
regal tang
blue mandarin
diamond watchman goby
2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
10-15 blue leg hermits
also snails, but there are so many species!
an anenome and maybe a hawaiian feather duster
not sure, but i have plenty of time to decide. any help is appreciated
While this is a common approach, you may consider reversing your stocking plan. In other words, once your cycle is complete, you may add your clean-up crew (consider building your CUC around Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, and Nerite snails--check out this article). Next, start adding other inverts (especially hardy corals like leather corals, mushrooms, flavia, etc.), and allow the bioload to stabalize, AND THEN add the fish.

One word of warning--I would seriously consider NOT including 10-15 blue leg hermits. Maybe one or two, but even one can be a brute in a reef tank. You've been warned...lol. Also, don't add the mandarin until the tank has matured for at least 4-6 months and there is a healthy population of pods in the tank and/or in a connected refugium.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the article about the snails. do you know anything about crabs. i just mixed my water and added 60 lbs live sand and 60 lbs vaious types of live rock, so far the water is still cloudy from the sand and i havent been able to arrange the rock.

and one quick question, my ph is about 8.4-8.6 and alkalinity is high also, is this something to worry about and if so how can i remedy this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.