The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a coral farm with a 135g, 65g, 55g, a 40g long, two 40gs, and a bunch of 20gs and smaller. I'm thinking of doing a couple of tanks together with sumps and remote deep sand beds, but i dont know what to do with the 135g. Should i do a sump and remote sand bed or just put a sand bed in the tank and suspend the coral on shelves above the substrate. Any one think built in tank refugiums are worth the hassle? Also any ideas on cheap good quality lighting?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Coral breeding is a bit different than propagation. What are you trying to do exactly?

Lighting options are seemingly endless, but I'd recommend T5 for most of those setups. I wouldnt get a cheap setup, more like something such as the Tek fixtures or other decent quality setup with individual reflectors.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
As Chris said, the lights aren't the place to be trying to go cheap. It isn't worth it. I looked into propagation (which is what I think you are actually doing) using 10 gallon tanks. The 10'es (or 20'es) would give you enough room to keep each individual types in seperate tanks and be able to take them offline at a moments notice and - hopefully - keep them all separated.

Lighting and flow was the issues I ran into that I never did resolve. Trying to keep everything in the flow patterns it wanted. I wanted to run a linear setup where the water went from tank to tank to tank and back to the sump. The main issue you need to watch for with that is nutrient depletion by the time it gets to the end although feeding high nutrient water into a softie end and letting it wind its way through nutrient levels and different tanks was something else I considered.

With the lighting, whether you can light it with natural light will depend on where you are in the country but its something to look into to save on electricity.

Good luck with it and welcome to TRT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts