The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90G tank has 3 T5 bulbs over it. Two are 10K, one is Actinic. They are two fixtures, a dual bulb/single reflector and a single bulb fixture. It is nowhere near enough light for my zoos, mushrooms and polyps. The tank is 24" deep.
My 10G holding tank has the 13W PC bulb canopy that came on my 12G nano kit on it. Not enough light there either.
I have two other light fixtures. One is a dual bulb 18W fixture (36W total) and I have a 3 bulb 13W fixture (39W total).

The 10G tank has no filtration on it at the moment. The only water movement is from a MJ1200 in it.

I have a 125G tank but no lights for it.

The 12G will be set back up today with the default filter system that came with it.

There's no possibility of me buying lights right now.

I have thought about setting the 125 up and using the 36" fixtures over half of it and that would leave the other half open to me for testing the skimmer I am working on. That would allow me to empty the 90 and get it ready for moving (I am moving in the next few weeks). I could then take the small PC fixtures I have and use them over the 12G tank.

I have also thought about building a temporary lift in the 90 using eggcrate but that worries me with the weight of the rocks potentially breaking it and causing a catastrophe in the tank.

There is simply too much for me to keep in the two small tanks anymore so I have to put them in a larger tank.

Any thoughts/advice on how to use what I have to get enough light to keep my zoos/shrooms/polyps healthy and happy until I get more light fixtures?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Umm,.. So what your saying is that your corals won't fit in the 12 and 10, and you need to light either the 125 or the 90 to hold the stuff you have?

How long are we talking here? Are we talking about lighting it for a week until you can get better lighting? Or more like a month?

What are the detailes on the T5 lighting? How long are the tubes? What wattage? What kind of reflectors?

Whiskey

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
My 90G tank has 3 T5 bulbs over it. Two are 10K, one is Actinic. They are two fixtures, a dual bulb/single reflector and a single bulb fixture. It is nowhere near enough light for my zoos, mushrooms and polyps. The tank is 24" deep. Normal output T5?
My 10G holding tank has the 13W PC bulb canopy that came on my 12G nano kit on it. Not enough light there either.Keep them where they are for now, maybe add one of the listed below.
I have two other light fixtures. One is a dual bulb 18W fixture (36W total) and I have a 3 bulb 13W fixture (39W total).

The 10G tank has no filtration on it at the moment. The only water movement is from a MJ1200 in it.Do extra water changes to keep everything looking healthy.

I have a 125G tank but no lights for it.

The 12G will be set back up today with the default filter system that came with it.

There's no possibility of me buying lights right now.

I have thought about setting the 125 up and using the 36" fixtures over half of it and that would leave the other half open to me for testing the skimmer I am working on. That would allow me to empty the 90 and get it ready for moving (I am moving in the next few weeks). I could then take the small PC fixtures I have and use them over the 12G tank.

I have also thought about building a temporary lift in the 90 using eggcrate but that worries me with the weight of the rocks potentially breaking it and causing a catastrophe in the tank.

There is simply too much for me to keep in the two small tanks anymore so I have to put them in a larger tank. Put extra LR in the big tank to cycle it and move as much as you can into the 12

Any thoughts/advice on how to use what I have to get enough light to keep my zoos/shrooms/polyps healthy and happy until I get more light fixtures? You could build a rack to get them close to the light in the 90, I have kept zoas and shrooms under less light from 12"-4" away,

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Umm,.. So what your saying is that your corals won't fit in the 12 and 10, and you need to light either the 125 or the 90 to hold the stuff you have?
Yes, that is the problem.

How long are we talking here? Are we talking about lighting it for a week until you can get better lighting? Or more like a month?
At least month, possibly two but hopefully only a month.

What are the detailes on the T5 lighting? How long are the tubes? What wattage? What kind of reflectors?
Whiskey
36" T5HO. 39W bulbs.
These are the two fixtures I have:
http://www.freshmarine.com/hg-glo-t5-ho-double-36in.html
http://www.freshmarine.com/hg-glo-t5-ho-single-36in.html

The double bulb fixture has a single reflector for both tubes.
The single bulb fixture has an actinic bulb, the dual bulb fixture has two 10K bulbs in it.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normal output T5?

No, they are HO fixtures.

Keep them where they are for now, maybe add one of the listed below.

Some of them are being moved to the 12 today and tomorrow to try to thin them out some. I do have 3 rocks that are almost too big to fit into the 10 or 12. I think I can shoehorn them in though.

Do extra water changes to keep everything looking healthy.

I have done two in the last week (50%) and will be doing another one today. Half of the water in the 10 will go into the 12 and then have new SW added to top them off.

Put extra LR in the big tank to cycle it and move as much as you can into the 12

I added some to the 90 a few days ago with some zoos on them. I haven't tested the 90 yet (laziness on my part) to see where the water is. It has been running for almost 2 months now. Tracy (my GF) was feeding the tank every other day with pellet food in an attempt to get it to cycle. I have to test it (that is part of the water change plans tonight/tomorrow) to see where it is.

You could build a rack to get them close to the light in the 90, I have kept zoas and shrooms under less light from 12"-4" away,

I think I am being overly paranoid but I would rather be safe than sorry with the lighting. I think I will get the 12 setup and see how much I can get into the 12 and the 10 without over crowding it. Then, if need be build a rack to get them up to the lights in the 90.

Thank you.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I would stick with the 90 as it's been running and would be more stable

Plus I'm lazy
And honest enough to admit it?

Only reason I have considered the 125 is because I have to move the 90 in the next month or two anyway and could use the 125 as a holding tank until then. It would allow me to break the 90 down, have it ready to move, get rid of the old stand/canopy, and give me better light for the time being.

How much of a mini-cycle would it go through if I transferred all of the water, rock, and corals from the 90 directly into the 125?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I guess it would be like a big waterchange . If the LR stays wet and you keep it orientated the same way there shouldn't be any die off to cause a new cycle

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am going to set up the 125 tomorrow with the 36" lights and hope for the best with it.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
I think I am going to set up the 125 tomorrow with the 36" lights and hope for the best with it.
It's not enough to light that whole tank.

If it were me, and I was really in a tough spot and couldn't borrow any lights from anyone else, and didn't have any other florescent fixtures, or MH fixtures, or available sunlight, and had to setup the 125:

I would take all the lights you've got and stick them over the far left 2 feet of that tank and place the corals all there. I would have enough LR to build up really high in that section - this way I could try and keep the high light stuff up top.

I am worried about you setting up a brand new tank and putting a ton of coral right in, especially with how new you are in this hobby. I'm not saying this is impossible, but I would make getting the equipment you need a higher priority then buying new corals.

Whiskey

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Best of luck with that Randy.

You know, if you really have too many corals you could always bring some to the pig pickin this Saturday as well. ;)
I can do that if they will survive the road trip. Most are just zooanthids and some mushrooms but if anybody wants some of the ones I have enough of to frag I will be happy to do it. It would even let me have something to bring so I could bring some home with me :)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not enough to light that whole tank.

If it were me, and I was really in a tough spot and couldn't borrow any lights from anyone else, and didn't have any other florescent fixtures, or MH fixtures, or available sunlight, and had to setup the 125:

I would take all the lights you've got and stick them over the far left 2 feet of that tank and place the corals all there. I would have enough LR to build up really high in that section - this way I could try and keep the high light stuff up top.
That is about what I had in mind. It would be the left 3' (the light fixtures are 36" long). I have enough rock and things to get everything raised up to get them closer to the light. How much "high light stuff" I have I am not real sure of. It is mostly (if not all) zooanthids, mushrooms and green/brown polyps (I think they are palys but not sure, LRN would know).

I am worried about you setting up a brand new tank and putting a ton of coral right in, especially with how new you are in this hobby. I'm not saying this is impossible, but I would make getting the equipment you need a higher priority then buying new corals.
Whiskey
There aren't any more coral purchases in the near future (probably 4 months away at minimum). Setting up the tank new was one of my main concerns with it. The shock from the transfer and a full cycle would do more harm than the low light level would. I have the 12 running now. It has new SW in it that I intend to split with the 10 so that I have half the water from the 10 and half water from the 12 in each tank (the 12 only has 10 gallons in it right now). Then, get everything spread out in the 10 and 12. I think I have enough lights that I can adequately light the 10 and 12. The only thing that would leave me with trying to find a place for are two large rocks in the 90. I know one of them will fit in the 12 because it has been in there before. Just a matter of whether I can get everything else situated in the tank with it.

If I do the 125 (Still not sure yet) and use the water, rocks, and filter from the 90 would it help cut down on the cycle that will happen in the 125? Or, would it still be considerd a "new" setup? It would basically be the same thing as moving the tank, just transferring everything instead.

And yes, being new to the hobby makes me paranoid about killing what I have :(

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed. Id still keep most of your corals in the nanos, do the transfer to 125, then follow Whiskeys advise.
That's three votes for the nanos and I think that is what I am going to do if I can get the two large rocks to fit comfortably. One in each tank.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
That is about what I had in mind. It would be the left 3' (the light fixtures are 36" long). I have enough rock and things to get everything raised up to get them closer to the light. How much "high light stuff" I have I am not real sure of. It is mostly (if not all) zooanthids, mushrooms and green/brown polyps (I think they are palys but not sure, LRN would know).
I mean use the other lights as well,.. You said you have some smaller wattage fixtures too.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
If I do the 125 (Still not sure yet) and use the water, rocks, and filter from the 90 would it help cut down on the cycle that will happen in the 125? Or, would it still be considerd a "new" setup? It would basically be the same thing as moving the tank, just transferring everything instead.
Yes, and Yes IMHO. It will cut down on the cycle, but maybe not cut it out entirely - and it will be considered a new tank, you will also probably go through the algae cycles.

People do do this,.. but they are normally people that have a good handle on the looks of their coral, and understand what effects changes they make will have - that means there more prepaired for an emergancy.

Hopefully everything will go fine for you, but I am enjouraging you to do a little more legwork if needed to take a safer route.

Whiskey

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to leave the 90 as it is. I have a lot of what was in the 10 in the 12G now. I think I fit what is left in the 10G tank and use those. That way I don't have the light issue with the 90.

The 12G will have 2 18W PC bulbs and a 13W PC bulb.
The 10G will have 3 13W PC bulbs.

Thanks again. Hopefully, everything will settle down and be happy until I can get the 90 setup the way it needs to be setup.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts