The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New poster/member here....

In the process of a rebuild for my 90g reef tank to improve overall design/plumbing, etc.

My first issue is that I currently only have 1 overflow...which has actually resulted in two instances of tank spilling all over my family room floor...resulting in a very upset wife....

So, I wanted to add another overflow but not really sure what the best way to do this is. After reading the forums, some have added an overflow box and I just wanted to check and see what advice you experts may have on this. I attached a simple drawing of my setup which is basically a 1 inch overflow and a 3/4 return - both through a pre-drilled glass tank.

Another thought I had would be if I were just to make both holes overflows and then just plumb a return with pvc over the tank. Would this be better?

Do I need to add a closed loop?

I have many other questions, but I think Ill start with this for now. Appreciate any input you guys might have.

Thanks again.

Attachments

· Registered
827 Posts
Do you have any corals now? Do you have another tank that could house them temporarily while you work on the 90? A closed loop is not necessary, it depends on where you're going with this tank and what you want it to be able to do. Is the return hole next to the overflow hole? Welcome to WAC!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow....thanks for the quick reply. Actually, this is really a 'start-over' project in that I sold most/all of my corals in anticipation of this build taking longer than expected. So all Ive got in my tank are all my LR from before (90 lbs approx perhaps), sand, and a few damsels.

Starting out as a plumbing rebuild, has resulted in a lot more stuff - I ended up building a new stand for it as well as a canopy which is almost done. So I can pretty much go anywhere at this point and work on the tank to make sure everything is done right this time around.

I intend for this to be a full reef tank with SPS/LPS.

YEs, the return and overflow holes are both in the left back corner (Oceanic glass tank) right next to each other.

Other info on my tank:

1. LIghting - Sunlight Supply Maristar 48inch
2. 2 Tunze turbelles 6100 with wave controller
3. Chiller looped into the sump when necessary due to hot conditions
4. RODI water is brought into the sump with a Litermeter

One main reason for this, other than the overflow instances, was also because previously, I realized that I didnt have enough flow inside my tank. Lots of gunk was gathering up behind the rock, etc, etc - and it slowly deteriorated the quality of my water and thus resulting in slow die-offs. So Im trying to improve flow/design/etc.

Thanks again - much appreciated !

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Hi and welcome to TRT!
What are your goals coral wise? If you want more flow than what a regular return is going to give you then I personally would do a CLS. There is also the option of power heads but I dont like all that clutter in the tank. Keep in mind that a 1" pipe will gravity flow about 400 gph as apposed to what a pump will force through a 3/4" pipe.
I would suggest considering a coast to coast overflow with two 1" drains. For the retun you could do a manifold that would hit all four corners from the top of the tank. The coast to coast would improve the surface skimming in the tank while improving gph going through it.
there are many options so hang on for a ton of recomendations!!

· Administrator
61,340 Posts
I can't see the bmp image, it shows up really small and blown up 400
% its not readable, but to answer your question I would probabply consider using both the holes for drains and go with an over the top
return, that will give you an adequate flow rate for the return pump you have now. As to increasing flow rate in the tank, you can either do a closed loop, or one of the high volume in tank systems. Depends on whether you can or or willing to drill more holes in the tank for a closed loop. As for the drain rate into the sump, you just need enough to match the actuall flow rate (or close) of your skimmer, if you have one

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I can't see the bmp image, it shows up really small and blown up 400
% its not readable, but to answer your question I would probabply consider using both the holes for drains and go with an over the top
return, that will give you an adequate flow rate for the return pump you have now. As to increasing flow rate in the tank, you can either do a closed loop, or one of the high volume in tank systems. Depends on whether you can or or willing to drill more holes in the tank for a closed loop. As for the drain rate into the sump, you just need enough to match the actuall flow rate (or close) of your skimmer, if you have one
Well, that's the simple way!:worm:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info on the c2c. Seems like a difficult/lengthy process....true? Not opposed to it, but are there any other options? If that is the 'best' way to go as far as increasing flow without sticking 5 powerheads in the tank, then I have no problem with it at all. Just looking for the most 'painless' and time consuming process, as I am probably on a short leash already with the wife...

I wasnt aware you could actually add a wide overflow like that. I was told that an option would be to have one of those overhang overflows, with the siphon, but wasnt crazy about that idea at all...

Pics of old tank to come next...thanks again.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would the CLS be advisable given my setup and its current flow rate? Not at all trying to avoid the c2c option, but just wanted to go over advantages/disadvantages of each option...

My skimmer is a euroreef rs model....cant remember what model it is...but i remember that it was whatever model was suited for my setup of 90g...

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Looks like the c2c might be the way to go....would that involve drilling holes in my tank?
Yes, holes. The C2C will allow more drainage to the sump and also better surface skimming. The returns would be over the top. Its not all that difficult to do really. The drilling is easy with the right tools and the rest is just fabbing the pieces for the C2C.
Now, doing a CLS would allow you to get the flow to where you want it more effectively, like the lower portions of the tank. If you go this route, then three holes for the CLS, use both the existing for the drain and and over the back return. Two out puts for the CLS could handle the flow down lower in the tank and the returns from the sump could handle the upper flow.
Just kinda thinking out loud...:thumbup:

· Registered
827 Posts
with reference to the wife, I don't have one of my own... but this is your passion, your hobby, i hope she would support you.

A DIY coast to coast can be very cheap! Drill the holes yourself, add bulkheads, find an acrylic supplier locally, buy some scrap from them, caulk and your overflow is done! It may not be the easiest route, but I find DIY work and the building of a tank my favorite part of the hobby. Once, it's running and everything is smooth that is where the real $ involved with stocking and that can get out of hand.

I would much rather save money and think that I am building a far superior overflow than those offered by suppliers. Just food for thought. =] Good luck, You have a great headstart asking for advice and seeing what everyone has to say, advice is invaluable.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great...sounds like c2c would be a much more efficient route, not to mention fun.....

Anyone recommend a link or site that goes over in a bit more detail what is involved - what tools are needed to drill the holes, building the overflow, etc?

Also, so by adding a c2c, what would I do with the current holes in my tank (1 inch and 3/4 inch) ?

As you might be able to tell, I am quite a newbie even though my tank has been set up for several years now. I really havent done anything to it since its initial setup. So was wondering if there are any links/sites to exactly how to build the c2c - more of a step by step walkthrough....

thanks again.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Great...sounds like c2c would be a much more efficient route, not to mention fun.....

Anyone recommend a link or site that goes over in a bit more detail what is involved - what tools are needed to drill the holes, building the overflow, etc?

Also, so by adding a c2c, what would I do with the current holes in my tank (1 inch and 3/4 inch) ?

As you might be able to tell, I am quite a newbie even though my tank has been set up for several years now. I really havent done anything to it since its initial setup. So was wondering if there are any links/sites to exactly how to build the c2c - more of a step by step walkthrough....

thanks again.
The existing holes could be intake for the CLS!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.