The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the past three weeks I have had a few fish casualties. A fire fish, sunburst anthias, and a spotted mandarin. All of them were new additions to the tank and I attributed the deaths to them being too shy and being outcompeted for food (The mandarin passing wasn't a surprise, my tanks pod population couldn't support him). Whenever they died there wasn't much time for me to notice any strange behavior they would just wind up dead. Now my Melanurus wrasse seems to be sick but unlike the other fish that died I have had him for over a year and he is definitely not getting outcompeted for food, he's the biggest fish in the tank. He always sleeps underneath the sand and for about two days he never came out. Then yesterday he emerged floating vertically and getting blown around by the power heads. He eventually swam under a rock and stayed there all day unmoving. I moved him to my new quarantine tank and he is still alive but laying upside down. There are no physical signs of disease on him, no spots or anything strange looking. I read some things about swim bladder. Does anyone have experience with that? Or does is sound like something is going through my tank? I bought a "All in one Remedy" medication for MarineLand, should i treat the quarantine tank with this? I took my water to be tested and everything is in check there so I'm really lost! Also the fish still remaining in the tank (2 Banghaii cardinal, a flame angel, 4 yellow tail damsels, black and white clown and pink spot goby) All are acting normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures

Here's some pictures of him. When I went up to the tank he would wiggle around but stayed on his back like this. That flaky stuff around his mouth was not there last night but I think it's just gunk from him rolling around on the sand bed. Unless that is the sign of some disease?:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
To have that many fish die in that period of time points to a problem in your tank. The mandarin would've taken months to starve to death. We'll need a lot more info on your tank. Size? How long has it been running? Did the LFS tell you your exact parameters? What's your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, temp? Any recent changes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
75 gallons and been running for 2 years. The ammonia nitrites and nitrates were all at basically 0. Salinity is at 1.025 sg… temp usually 80 degrees. The anthias and fire fish had been in the tank about 2 1/2 months the mandarin probably only 1 month.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
updated parameters:
pH: 8.1, Alkalinity: 5, Ammonia: 0, Phosphates: .25, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates:0, Calcium: 440 ppm

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Well, if water quality and oxygen problems aren't it, next guess would be parasites. It started just after you added the mandarin? Maybe something rode in with him. Internal parasites can cause fish to not eat and the kind of swirly swimming you're describing. New Life Spectrum makes a food for internal parasites called Hex Shield, you might want to try that on the ones that aren't showing any signs just to be on the safe side. For the wrasse, you'll want to find something to treat him in the QT. I believe Metronidazole is used for internal parasites.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'll probably try that because he's still hanging in there. No other fish are showing signs yet. He's still in the quarantine tank and was more active today... Still upside down but moving now without being touched or anything. Should I try feeding him? It's been about 4 days sines he's eaten

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try to get him to eat. At least to keep up his strength until you can get the meds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts