The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

it's been a long time since I last posted here. I am in need of some advice. The top of my tank is open and has been since I setup last year, and I have hanging lights on top. The problem I have with the open top is that I get alot of evaporated salt on my wall and I was thinking if i could possible just put a transparant sheet of plastic on top of the tank and then have the lights above that?

any advice would be very much appreciated.

many thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use glass lids, easy to clean and help a lot with water levels. Only down side was i needed fans but even without the lids i needed them. I have four 80mm computer fans in the canopy and the max I've seen it hit is 79.4 and the heater is set at 78 so not to bad.

I am running two 175w MH and four 65w PC just to give you an idea of heat issues.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
hey everyone,

it's been a long time since I last posted here. I am in need of some advice. The top of my tank is open and has been since I setup last year, and I have hanging lights on top. The problem I have with the open top is that I get alot of evaporated salt on my wall and I was thinking if i could possible just put a transparant sheet of plastic on top of the tank and then have the lights above that?

any advice would be very much appreciated.

many thanks
You can add glass lids (or acrylic). When you do, you will see heat go up in the tank, evaporation will happen quicker (from the higher heat), you will see light levels go down from the light having to go through the new lid, and your pH will change since CO2 won't be able to off-gas as easily.

Good luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts