The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I need help. I am getting ready to break down one of my 55 fw tanks and convert it. It has a canister filter rated for 150 gallon tank. I would like to do a sump but I don't want to drill the tank. So how do I add a sump/skimmer without drilling the tank? Keep in mind I have no clue about doing this and need a sump plan for dummies kind of advice. I am going to remove the stock hood and put 520watts of pc lighting for now. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thinking of going bb.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,192 Posts
Don't drill it and add a Remora HoB skimmer and a CLS. Next Friday I get the Mag's to power mine and ditch the powerheads.

You can go sumpless on a tank of that size and be just fine.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CLS? what is this? closed loop system? could you explain this ? Dummy remember.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,192 Posts
This is just a system that you glue together that sucks water out of your tank directly into a pump then back up into a spray bar or pvc pipe thing with a bunch of nozzles.

The skimmer hangs on the back and does it's own thing. All you will see in your tank is a drilled piece of tubing hanging down and then the nozzles in the corners.

I just don't like all these powerheads hanging all over the place.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For beginners sake I think I'll start with just a couple of powerheads. I already have a spray bar that runs the length of the tank. Think I will go with the remora tho. How is skimmate removed with this, looks like a regular hob filter but have never seen one upclose to know how they work.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,192 Posts
Jena get the Aqua C Remora Pro with the Mag 3. Call the guys at www.marinedepot.com if you have questions. I think they are one of our sponsors.

If you have ever seen a soap bubble it has those shiny colors on it that are made up of proteins that stay on the surface of the bubble. The skimmer breaks up the bubbles and traps the surface contents which are contaminants in your tank and there is a cup on the top you empty out every day or two. It will look like a Sobe Green Tea or a bit darker and keep things pretty clean.

If you have a spray bar and powerheads you are all set. I am just amping it up a little with the closed loop system.

The skimmer is not like a filter at all..bubbles and crud come up in the collection cup and it is the same theory as a skimmer that sits in your sump.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
You could use a HOB overflow, with the aqualifter pump to avoid overflows.

This means you don't have to drill the tank, but still get to have a sump.

I firmly belive that a sump is worth it's weight in gold, and would never setup a tank without one. I even drilled my 15 nano for a sump.

Whiskey

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 55g reef and 10g sump. I use a continuous overflow that I got off ebay for 30 bucks. It works great and then I use a Rio 2100+ for a return pump and direct the flow where I want it. The 10g sump is just a $10 tank from petsmart, siliconed some plexiglass baffles in there. You can make it look just like the wet/dry filters you can buy but only have to spend $30. I have mine set up that way but with the water covering the bioballs so they are submerged. With a sump you can easily build your own skimmer and hook it up through the sump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts