The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Piscivorous
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the advantages are of building a CLS with a seperate single pump over having two powerheads simply by themselves?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Advantages? It is arguably more aesthetically pleasing not having powerheads in your tank. I can't think of any others atm, but I am sleepy. :D

·
Ghetto Reefer 101
1,447 Posts
PRO for CLS:

More room in tank, looks better, less electric needs (one pump vs 5 or 6 small ones)

Cons - Require more room outside of the tank. Possible leaks....external pumps can make more noise...I like wavemaker options with individual powerheads

it's basically up to you.....you'll need some DYI skills....if you want it to look real nice, you'll have to drill the tank...

HAving said all that, I have 5 MJ1200s in my tank now!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
CLS are great for adding a lot of flow without a crapload of heat/powerheads in the tank. I could never get the kind of flow with powerheads that I have with my cls running off a mag 9.5. Plus , being external it adds much less heat to the system than powerheads do. Also, you don't have to drill the tank to do a closed loop. Take a look at this one, http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html which I modeled mine off.

All that said, if you have at least a 4' long tank, a tunze turbelle stream with a controller is a really nice option. I'd have one but it's just too much flow for a 36" tank.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
The flow with a cls is really nice, I can have it without the heat, PH's falling off and just all the cords and things in the tank. The only drawback I see it a CLS is that with all the angles and head I lose some flow from any giving pump. I have 2 Mag 950 running the cls on my 90 gallon and it is nice flow.I do wish I had more. I also push 1150 out of the sump with a little gaint.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
:thumbup: You guy's forgot the most important thing,NO STINKING SUCTION CUPS!!!!!!!! that fall off.

·
Administrator
46,839 Posts
With a closed loop, you have the option of designing the returns to suit you tanks needs. There are several options you can use to vary the currents, SeaSwhirls, SCWD, Ocean Motion devices can help fine tune flow to suit your needs :)

·
Ghetto Reefer 101
1,447 Posts
I glued my MJ1200 clips directly to my overflows, the pumps can be taken in and out for cleaning. I used weldon #16, these will never fall again!!! :)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Tunze, does the same. They are pricey, but the flow is fantastic! All over the tank, forceful, but soft...lots of soft volume!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts