The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I set up my first saltwater tank and I decided to get an MJ-400 (powerhead mode) just to move water around a little bit and it's a little too powerful and kicking up my sand. I was able to angle it to point at the waters surface to minimize it's impact on the sand (and for better gas exchange) but it's still bouncing off the top and back to the bottom and slowly pushing sand from one side of the tank to the other. I was wondering if anyone knew how to take this thing down to 80-90%. I thought I remember reading somewhere that someone had cut the blades down on the impeller to slow down a powerhead, does anyone have any experience with this or have any other ways to get a powerhead to slow down a little bit?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Only reason I ask is because all I can find about modding maxi-jets is how to make them more powerful when I want to do the opposite and get less flow from mine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What size tank do you have. Reason i ask is, that is a very weak power head.Try to bounce flow off of side of tank.You want good flow in your tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 20 tall, right now I bounce off of the top and it flows back down the other side of the tank and pushes all the sand to one side. I know it's pretty weak thats why I wanted it because I only have a 20 gallon tank but even this weak little one is stronger than I anticipated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts