The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to add a few more corals to the mix and would appreciate any suggestions:

Currently we have a 46 bowfront gallon tank stocked with:

Green Star Polyp - thriving
Duncan's Whisker - upper right hand corner, 4 additional heads since purchase back in Aug., will be moving to give the toad stool more room.
Button Polyp - thriving temporary placement at top of tank, will be moving once we decide on a permanent placement.
Sinclaria Tree Coral - thriving
Trumpet Coral - healthy but no growth
Octo Frog Spawn-thriving
Toad Stool Leather - very healthy happy coral, clown fish recently made it his home.
Sun Coral - thriving
Frog Spawn (green and purple)=thriving
Acanthastrea - concerned about this one seems to be shriveling, may reposition in the tank, are also trying to encourage it to feed.
Blue Tip Acropora - Love the color of this one but not much to it.
Trachyphylliidae - Open Brain Coral - my favorite in the tank, doing beautifully.
Orange Monitpora - healthy and growing

Most of the above listed corals were purchased as frags, so not very big. I would like to add a pulsating xenia, but have read many conflicting posts as to whether or not to add this to the tank. I want some different color and textures to add in to the mix.

Any thoughts on the xenia or recommendations for other potential frag purchases?

Thanks

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back from my LFS.....

I bought a frag of white pulsing xenon, although I think it is more creamy colored than actually white. I love watching this coral, hope I don't end up regreting this purchase. We also purchased a small orange ricordea and a blue ricordea, which are a type of mushroom coral. Very small frags, will be fun to watch them grow. We also purchased a small piece of what appears to be a zooanthid, it is not flat like another piece we have but appears to have tubes with the polyp on the top. Bit of a mystery, but he was only $19.99, I am sure he will add to the tank as he grows.

I will take some pictures once they acclimate to their surroundings and open up fully.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Hammer coral is a great choice as well, their great. Xenia is great..i will warn you that they grow and spread really REALLY fast, so constant pruning is mandatory unless u want them to take over your tank. Even with pruning they seem to spread to areas you don't want them to.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hammer coral is a great choice as well, their great. Xenia is great..i will warn you that they grow and spread really REALLY fast, so constant pruning is mandatory unless u want them to take over your tank. Even with pruning they seem to spread to areas you don't want them to.
I have been researching the Hammer coral, very nice! Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.