The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· I am Obsessed with Fish.
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know there are hundrreds of different chemicals 2 add to a Tank. How do u know when to use it and how many chemicals are enough. Like I have the Purple up suplement. I am waiting for my Levels to level out from the move before I use this again. There are so many others for Corals and what not what are some of the Add ins that you guys use.

405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am only asking because I have I wish I can get a better pic of my tank so you can see what I have in it I have. Pearl Bubble Coral, Frog Spawn Mushroom Coral Super Orange Zooanthids and some others just wondering if there is certain caring for them, Thanks Jay

· Registered
67 Posts
I try to test for Calcium, Magnesium, KH and pH every couple of weeks.
Supplement-wise I drip kalk every night to maintain Calcium/phosphate precipitation/buffering capacity and add Magnesium and carbonate when required (very occasionally). <O:p
<O:p
I wouldn't want to try adding anything without testing for at least Ca/Mg/KH/pH as each is crucial to reaching the stable supersaturated equilibrium as in natural sea water (which water changes with good quality salt and RO will probably take care of). When one parameter is out of kilter it tends to pull others with it so dealing with each separately is best in the long run.
<O:p

· Kiss my Fish
269 Posts
Pearl Bubble Coral, Frog Spawn Mushroom Coral Super Orange Zooanthids
I have all of the species you listed in my tank, and they are doing fine without adding any supplements except regular water change. They key is not to add anything without being able to test it.
10gL/week sounds reasonable to me! :rolleyes:

405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I am waiting for the levels to level out from the move they are a lil off nothing to bad. I am not sure what the coral that looks like a tree is called some are doing awsome some look less healthier. any help for them.

· Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
They key is not to add anything without being able to test it.
trust this advice. the salt you use to make your water, along with quality water to start will give you most of what you need. i have noticed that with adding more snails in the past week my tank is running a little low on the calcium, so i plan to add calcium occasionally, only because i can test for it and monitor what the impact on the tank's params.

i have just upgraded to a 55g, i currently plan to do 5g water change weekly, 10g every 3 weeks. you'll have to figure out what is right for your tank. as long as everything is looking happy & healthy, you're on the right track.

oh yeah, and ask for advice before you do anything, there are so many helpful, experienced people on TRT, I owe my tank's health to everyone who contributes on this forum...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.