The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 4 months old, and I know I have a while before I can do it, however I would like to eventually add soft corals. I don't know where to get information about them and their care? Also I know they need other levels checked ext .. I just have the API master test kit it only tests for nitrates, nitrites, ph and ammonia .. I am sure checking for the other things like calcium ext won't hurt now.. But my question is can any one also recommend where to get the additional testing items I would need. We only have a very small petco ( it has maybe 6 saltwater tanks) I am pretty sure I will have to order the other testing items online

·
Registered
293 Posts
Use www.liveaquaria.com for info on how to care for the corals you want.

Use www.drsfostersmith.com or bulkreefsupply.com for the testing products.

For softies, you will really only need an alkalinity test kit on top of what you have (I'm assuming you have a refractometer?). But since alkalinity is related to magnesium and calcium levels you should just look at the Red Sea coral pro test kit that has all 3 of these in a kit for $49. Very good test kit and reliable.

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Dr Foster and Smith has a red sea reef test kit for $39.99. Ca, Alk, Mag. You really don't NEED to test for those if you are only doing soft coral, but wouldn't hurt I suppose.

·
Watchful Goby
321 Posts
Don't make the mistake I did by confusing soft corals with NPS, it's two different ball games
Totally did that. First collection of coral I bought came with two NPS. I thought they looked cool, and the coral dealer guy never even mentioned that they were NPS. I told him I was a total newbie, but he sold them to me without comment anyway. I've since avoided that guy ever since a green star polyp frag was infested with a few dozen vermetid snails.

Somehow, 4 months later, one of the two NPS is still alive. It looks terrible, but it opens every once in a while. I don't have the heart to put it out of it's misery. There's no one around to take it off my hands, but I do my best to take care of it.

+1 to LiveAquaria. It's my casual reading material nowadays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts