The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know that some fish just don't get along. I added a Niger Trigger the size of a quarter to my reef tank the other day (bad move). As soon as he hit the water I knew that it wouldn't work out. My Sargussum Trigger turned a funky tint of green and was clearly upset. About 20 minutes later there he was chasing this little Niger all over the tank. My wife said, "Do something, do something!" I didn't know what to do because he had never exhibited behaivor like this before, so I decided to let it go for a few minutes. Well that approach was the wrong one. He chased the little trigger until it was exhausted. Then he grabs it and begins to swim from one side of the tank to the other with the Niger in his mouth. Kind of like a crazy dog. I finnaly stuck the net in the tank and all of the inhabitants headed for cover. The Niger lifeless and exhausted swam right into the net. I netted him out and needless to say, he is now in my reject tank. I guess there isno chance of these fish living in the same tank? My reject tank is now becoming crowded. I have a peach blenny that I had to take out because he was torpedoing himself into the holes where my jawfish lives. Should I maybe try another approach to adding this fish like feeding my tank to the point of saturation? Or am I just down right out of luck?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is unlikely those two fish will ever get along except in a huge aquarium.

It is a little odd; unless this is a small tank. The Sargassum Triggerfish ( Xanthichthys ringens) is suppose to be a "Very Gregarious fish" according to what I've read. It is also a different color and shape than the niger.

Ray

·
Registered
658 Posts
Buying fish is pretty much a crapshoot... even fish that are supposedly 'reef safe' can have some detrimental behaviors that necessitate their removal.
I've gotten pretty lucky so far... aside from a Pearlscale butterfly I added that wreaked havoc on my tank (and has since been removed) the rest of my fish all have their own territories and get along well with everything else.
Even my copperband butterfly has been a model citizen.
I've pretty much stuck with gobies, clowns and blennies though... no really exotic fish. Maybe that's why I've been so lucky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.