The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had about 4-5 inches of sand when I set up my tank, but now it is almost gone in places by the glass. I want to add more sand because my stilts holding the rock up are all showing. They used to barely show. I know I need to add it slowly little by little, but what else? I have also noticed that I don't have anything crawling around on the sand any more like I used to. If I get live sand and put it in there will it replace the little critters too?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Do not waste your money on "live sand" in a bag. Even if those critters could survive being in the bag for god only knows how long, there would not be any big enough for you to see crawling around. Just buy a bag of regular aragonite sand to replace your lost sand with. Just make sure you thoroughly rinse it and I would do the final rinse with RO/DI water in order to keep it from creating a dust storm when you add it to the tank.

If you want really live sand, then check around for some local reefers in your area that would be willing to give you some out of their systems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just play sand in my tank now. I got it from Walmart. It was white beach sand. I looked for some there again and they didn't have any.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately the play sand is silica. It was $1.08 a bag. It took 6-- 40 lb. bags to get the level I wanted. That was quite a difference in price than the good sand.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My lfs had live sand in a tank and I added a couple pound to just plain sand to increase my sand bed and I have more copods then I have ever seen. They are everywhere so I guess I really did get live sand.

But just buy a little and mix with plain or with what you have in you tank and add it slow
my firefish almost jumped out of the tank beacuse they were so ticked about all the dust in the water..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts