The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at my aquarium and although I don't have much in it I feel like I have too little LR (13lbs in a 10g). If I added more would I cure it in a bucket and just drop it in the tank? If so how would I know when it's ready?

I just don't wanna run out of space for corals... or do a bunch of re-aqua-scaping by adding LR once the tank is more established...or am I mistaken... don't you think this tank could stand a bit more LR?

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
13lbs in a 10 is enough, however if you wanted more rock you could cure it in a bucket like you said...you would tell if it was cured the exact same way, you would test the water in the bucket. Of course you would have to heat the bucket, and areate it with a power head, so when its all said and done, you might be best off getting some LR from an LFS that has cured stuff in stock.

But like I said, you don't NEED any more rock for you tank, at this point it is purely preference.

Dave

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'll agree with ReefDave -- 13lbs is enough for biological purposes.

But I do think your tank could use one more piece to make a nice swim through and get the reef up a little higher. Fully cured from an established reef tank would be the best way to go and keep it submerged in saltwater for transportation. Around Atlanta that shouldn't be a problem there are allways many people selling off LR (someone over in the ARC forum right now has 200 lbs at $3.00 per --- would give you plenty to choose from).

I would try and get one large flat piece. You could then use your current LR to prop it up and make the swim through under it. WHile your at it take the piece on the left out (looks like alot of algae on it) and scrub it down really good.

Now is definatly the time to do this before you get alot of corals and what not in the tank.

If you get the LR from a LFS you probably want to cure it in a bucket before use (even if it's suppose to be fully cured). This might only take a few days but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ckreef said:
WHile your at it take the piece on the left out (looks like alot of algae on it) and scrub it down really good.

Now is definatly the time to do this before you get alot of corals and what not in the tank.
Well I took out the piece and started scrubbing, but it's as if that hair algea is a permanent part of the rock! :(

I added some snails, but they seem to enjoy everything BUT hair algae. Would a lawnmower blenny be of any help? I'm currently fishless but I'd rather stay that way unless I find a fish I really really want.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The algae does seem to like that one rock. Maybe you could take that out and put it in the sun to turn into baserock for another project. Replace that one with a different piece while your adding LR.

Don't know if it'll help but it does look sort of strange compared to the other rock in your tank.

A lawn Mower Blenny would probably work but I would stick w/ th NO fish idea and solve the hair algae rock problem a different way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good plan... I don't have any corals or anything on that rock anyway. I have minor hair algae on the other rock on the right, but nothing as outrageous as that. Maybe I can dry it out till it's good and dead then break up to mount frags on... that should be a decent use of it.

I think perhaps I should also look into RO/DI. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quacker -
What did you scrub the rock with? Maybe try a stiffer brush. I know ckreef has a gnarly wire bristle brush he reserves for rock scrubbing. :D

Definately check into the RO/DI system. I used Publix red label (DI) water for about a year before I got my RO/DI system from ebay. Here's the lowdown on the aquasafe unit.

Aqua-safe RO/DI (from eBay)

Aqua-safe RO/DI (Part II)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a hard bristle toothbrush.. maybe that was the problem. I wasn't sure if I could possible scrub the rock "too hard." Perhaps I'll try with wire before ditching the rock... I like the way the piece is shaped... and the holes and stuff in it.

Thanks for the RO/DI links... I was looking at that one on ebay and wondered if it was any good. Wish the install didn't alter the plumbing. Hmm...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I use a super stiff Stainless Steel wire brush (most people who have seen it think I'm nuts). Just be carefull cause that brush can definatly scrub chunks of rock off if you get too crazy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I used the ckreef method of scrubbing rock, and so far so good! It was still a tough scrub with the wire brush, but things are looking much cleaner now! Took an hour to scrub that one rock. I did it in a bucket of SW so that the algea would hopefully come off of the rock and stay in the bucket. Then I made up a fresh batch of SW and rinsed the rock off before returning to the tank. There is still a bit of hair algae left, but the snails seem to enjoy it when it's short and sparse.

Also, instead of buying additional LR I broke open the center purple piece and placed half of it on the front left side. I also turned the hair algae rock on it's side. Now I have more places to put corals without displacing water volume by adding additional rock.

Attachments

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
The number one way to keep hair algae under control IMO is an Emerlad Crab. I would buy 2 of them and drop them right on problem areas!! They will mow that stuff down right in front of your eyes. Also contrary to popular belief they do not hurt any corals!! I have 4 of them in 30 and have never hurt anything ever! Good luck on the tank though! It does look much nicer now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps but I'm trying to stay fishless... and if I were to add a fish I'd rather it be one I really wanted than just another part of the cleanup crew (although every time I see those lawnmowers at the LFS they seem pretty cool doing their thing).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts