The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
warren ohio
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my tank running for about two weeks with oolite live sand last sat i went to the airport to pick up my live rock i ordered 150 pounds for my 125 gallon tank. i have the rock in a plastic garbage can with a skimmer on it. i change the water in the can 2 times. first time all of it 2nd time half of it. i have a reading of about .25 ammonia 1.0 nitrite .20 nitrate . would it be better just to put the rock in my tank and cure/cycle my tank instead of curing the rock sepatate. would i turn the lights on in the tanks during the curing/cycling. i am looking for some tips or advise. also should i run the uv. during this time. any help i would be greatful
thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know there is a lot of threads on this , but lights on for a few hours most , not sure on water changes

and i think the general rule is keep testing till u get ZEROes

and as far as your tank if it is a new tank then go ahead and cycle in it !!!! otherwise no

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I belive no WC's until the cycle is complete otherwise you are removing bacteria from the tank.

Fred

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
As long as you have no critters/fish in the tank, definitley add the rock now. If you're in the middle of a cycle, you'll definitely be starting a new cycle whenever you add the LR, so might as well just drop it in now.

Another option would be to cure (allow to go through the cycle) the LR in another tank or rubbermaid tub, if you want. But if you're new to the hobby, this can be a pain, and usually requires additional equipment you don't have yet.

Best bet is to just add the LR to your tank, and then spend the next few weeks relaxing and reading up on the hobby!!

As for lighing, UV, etc...you'll get arguments from many different people.

But my theory is...run the tank exactly as it will be run during NORMAL use. I believe changes in the set up affect life at variuos levels. Letting the tank cure under one set of conditions, then later CHANGING those conditions after the cycle will cause a stunt in the tank's ability to reach it's normal equilibrium.

But I'll let other's chime in on the subject.

As for Water changes? Not really necessary until after the cycle's complete...but that's up to you. The key now is that populations of various bacteria reach an equilibrium in your tank. Water changes can sometimes speed this up, other times it can slow it down (depending on HOW uncured the LR is). Me personally, I wouldn't do any WC's until late in the cycle. But again, wait to hear what other's would say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts