The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i want to add more live sand, do i need to worry about burying the bases of my LR?
And if i do add LS, can i add it on top of my current blended CC, Araganite, Pukashell substrate? Or will i be better off replacing the existing substrate entirely?
boy, the hermits are not gonna like it if i cover their favorite toys (the tiny puka shells).....

to avoid burying my hermits i'm prolly going to have to round them all up and bag them, pour the sand and then let them back in... going to have to rescue all the featherdusters that are sprinkled on the bed too....

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question (before i head home from work, go get my DD from dayare and go grocery shopping) if i get, one bag of livesand and put it in a trashcan and mix equal parts playsand (or even 2 bags) with it, add seawater and circulate, will that seed the entire can and can i add it slowly from there, and how long do i have to incorporate it into my system (if it is at all feasable)?

i thought adding water to the playsand and mixing it with the live would do two things...

save me money on outright live sand to get a 5-6" sandbed
cut down on suspended dust particles in the main tank when introduced

just wondering.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on 'live sand' personally. If it's possible at all, get about 1 cup of sand from a fellow reefers tank and mix in with yours. I would do this after you have your tank set up with the sand in it. The live sand will have different layers once it is established. By different layers I mean the deeper sand basically breaks down something different than the top layer. HTH

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that i think of it, Dave...ya bring up a good point....i could scoop a cup of my current substrate and mix it in with the playsand mixed with saltwater and then let it get live (if that means waiting a bit ) add it to the tank....
i have plenty of stuff in my current substrate to do something...i have pods, i have bristles, i have weird red things i think are spaghetti worms i even have those micro-mini brittle stars... i think i just need more substrate.... i only have about 2.5-3.5 inches right now.... i'm thinking it might help my tank break down more nitrate.... i think...

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found Southdown tropical playsand....

I won't have to use the regular QuikCrete silicate playsand, i can use the Southdown.....

So the question right now is basically, can i use my own live sand to seed the Southdown sand i will be picking up this afternoon, will the method i asked about (mixing it with salt water and circulating it with a waterpump for a few days)? and then the question about adding it slowly so i don't smother all the living things i do have, or bury my LR....

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Probably the best method for replacing a sand bed is to put all your new sand in tubs, covering it with some new SW and some old SW from doing a water change in your tank, and adding a powerhead and a small heater. Either add a piece of rock or some substrate from your tank to each tub to jump start the bacteria population. You can also had a small amount of flake food, a couple of frozen peas, a small piece of shrimp or just about anything organic to fuel the growth. Then sit back, monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and wait for it to cycle. After it's cycled, then tear out your old substrate and put in the new.

You can seed your new sand bed with critters from the old by either spreading some of the top layer of your old substrate on top of the new and/or putting small mesh bags of old substrate on the new, leaving them there for a week and then pulling them out. Make sure the bags have holes big enough for critters to escape and that you keep them to a size smaller than a softball.

HTH,

Alice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts