The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our tank has been running since August '09 and is doing great. Corals are all propagating well, only thing is nitrates are still detectable at 5-10. My question is whether or not I could replace a fairly large/dense piece or LR without issue. We got all our LR from the same place, very nice rock. 1 piece had brown button polyps on it. Now these are spreading and beginning to overrun the tank. I would like to trade it up for a similar sized piece without button polyps.

Will that cause any problems? This is one of the larger pieces of rock though not as porous as the others, more dense. Would getting rid of it and replacing it with another piece of LR through the balance off in the tank? Any tips?

BTW, I have a 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump, maybe 35+/- pounds of rock. Tnx!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Your tank is still young and getting settled . If your gonna do it, do it now. You may see a spike in ammonia but a WC and good maintenance will keep it at bay .
Post a pic of your tank before you pull the rock

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my nano-tank

OK, I am really bad at posting pics. Here are some recent pics. Just picked up a small piece of GSP, added a pipe organ last month. Other corals: lots of shrooms, a small brain frag, dragon eyes and small zoa frag. We have lots of hitch hikers esp button polyps and kenyas, nothing too special. I like the rocks, but the tank doesn't look like I want it to. I hope over time it will fill out. The one thing that standpoints me is my zoas seem very slow to propagate. Is that normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
The big thing to watch for, is to make sure the new rock is well cured. Placing an uncured LR in the tank can cause serious problems. As long as it is cured, swapping out rocks shouldn't cause any major issues.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks EC. The rock comes from a local friend who runs a small business out of a school house he runs,, not an LFS. We got all our rock from him with no problems and lots of nice hitch hikers. I don't know how to tell if the rock is cured, though the holding tank he has for it is under lights and just full of rock. Been there since we have found him. Also the rock has corals on it and Coraline, fish are also in the tank.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
If the rock has been in captivity for a month or more, it's most likely fully curred. Critters will die in/on new LR. The rock will be "cured" when all those critters have fully decomposed and been washed away.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tnx! We are constantly rearranging the rock work to get what we like, don't know if thats a bad thing. Im sooo jealous of some of the reef tank pics Ive seen, hope it fills out one day. We usually only buy frags because we like watching the stuff grow, just takes a lot of patience LOL!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,667 Posts
Not the best thing to do by rearranging.You cover and uncover parts of the area of your rock(whick could keep it from totally cycling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts