1 mandarin goby

More rock to come I'm adding it as I can afford. tank sand.jpg

tank rock.jpg

dragoon.jpg

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
what are you thinking

WHY do your have a mandrin in a tank with no live rock ....their main source of food is copopds..............only found on the live rock of well established tanks........you need at least 100lbs to keep them alive........and a tank atleast 1 year old..............that is the most irresponsible thing i have ever seen..........

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is 50 pond in there right know that came out of my 10 month old 55 g that i took down. Also as stated I added 20 LB of live sand. The store told me I should be just fine . But they probably just wanted my money. I guess we will see. I can always add some special food just for him what do you guys recommend.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
yeah I have to agree with ionracing, that mandarin is not going to make it in a new tank. Try to get it into a tank that has a good food source for it, unless it eats frozen food but its most likely not going to.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
timmy if you care about the animal get it out either to a friends tank of to the store.........it is an inexpensive fish so you wont lose too much.........but im a blunt person...........it will die

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
You may have not had the facts , It happens . Don't beat yourself over it. We all have done things in the past that may have not been the best thing for a fish or our tank. The maderin is a fish that won't survive even in the best of tanks most of the time. just not alot of food for them, It's really the stores at fault here for selling it to You.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Timmy77 said:
Wow I can't belive they sold it to me knowing my situation.
Timmy don't feel bad I think everyone here has purchased something something at some point that we shouldn't have :( . I bought a Twin spot coris wrasse for a 24g nano the LFS said it would be fine :mad: . Many people also have tangs in less than ideal conditions since they require a lot of swimming room Yet many LFS will still sell tangs to people with tanks less than 48" wide and quite a few tangs need even more room than that

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Yep, just return him; either to the same LFS you bought him from or a different one.

I guess this is a good lesson to you; don't ever trust the advice of that particular LFS again. ;)

I think all of us have made a livestock mistake before. :)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Yeah Timmy, don't sweat it too much. I don't think there is anyone here who hasn't lost something along the way - fish, coral, etc., despite our best efforts or intentions. Mandarins are a beautiful fish and I have to agree that you should send him back to the LFS for now. Maybe you can get another one in a few months after the tank is more mature. BTW, it doesn't look like 50 pounds of LR in there to me, you must have really dense rock. Make sure that LFS of yours weighs the rock in front of you before you pay for it.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you want i can list all of the critter i starved because of poor research or bad advice from somewhere. :(

BTW- it does include mandarins also. this is one of those critters that everyone has made the same mistake with. luckily info is getting out more so hopefully this will not be one of those critters that everyone makes the same mistake with for to much longer.

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
welcome to TRT, sorry about the mandarin, to bad the pretty ones are always the hardest. but if thats the fish you want, strive to have your tank set up for it, it looks like your new tank is comming along, sand looks great. what size is that tank?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
125g allglass reef ready. I'm in the proses of purchasing a pump for the sump I'm making out of my old 39g tank. Or should I use my old 55. I can't decide. The stand is also a work in progress. Also need alot more live rock. i made the mistake of buying figi wen I was told marshall is better and lighter.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Fiji is okay but yes Marshall is better. As for the sump its up to you. The bigger the sump the more room for equipment and the more volume you have in the system. You could use the 55 as a sump and the 39 as a quarantine or grow out/frag tank!!

Robert

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I too did the exact same thing but put one in a 55 gallon with about 20# live rock when starting out thanks to LFS. I am just now trying them again. I added the one below to my tank and I waited until I found one that was eating frozen food in the store, in this case brine. I still haven't got him to eat much in my tank. They are very difficult to target feed because the are not always out in the open and asr extremely slow eaters.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only pob is I made a realy nice stand for my 55 so I really hopping to use my 39. ALso that way I have more space under my tank for adding more stuff. Like chillers. but in MN I don't think I need worry to much.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thats a butiful tank little fishy. I hope mine will look like that some day.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It will get there. I am constantly showing my wife pictures of tanks that I want mine to emulate. No matter where we are there is a long way to go!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts