The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my light fixture supports 4x 54 w t5's. i currently have 2 daylight 12,000k and 2 actinic blue. in my opinion the daylights way overpower the blue and my tank doesnt appear blue at all. i really want to switch out one of the daylights for another blue...and run 3x 54w actinics and one 54w 12,000k i really like the blue hue look. will this be ok with a reef tank mostly lps corals. my local saltwater store actually runs 75% actinic light in their tanks and they have alot of sps under that light also and it seems to thrive. i just want more opinions even though im pretty sure it will be fine.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
There are so many other T5 bulbs to consider besides running 3 pure actinic. Hopefully, some T5 experts will pop in with some better color suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Actinics really do very little for the corals.
going to one 12K may not give your corals enough light.

I not a T5 user but like Jadinop said there are sooo many bulbs out there I'm sure you can find something.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Try the "Blue Plus" bulbs by ATI. They make great actinic bulbs and still provide a decent amount of PAR. Go with two at first, and transition to three if you really want a lot of "blue" in your tank. How "white" is your 12K bulb? It should be very white, and if not, get yourself some new bulbs. The ATI Aquablue Special bulbs are nice 12K bulbs. These aren't the only bulbs that will work, just the bulbs I happen to like and use. I also like the Super Actinic by UVL too, but that bulb doesn't give you as much PAR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts