The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently picked up some actinic LED lights for my tank and when I take pictures with my camera/or phone, they obviously come out very blue. I am having a hard time getting the blue to stop washing out everything else.The zoas and palys I have look awesome under the blue. Wondering if anyone has ideas!

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes the only way to fix that is to use a custom white balance. I doubt it woul be offered on your phone camera. Not sure about your main camera.

If your camera has an option to use a custom white balance here are the steps I would recommend.

1. Get a white sheet of paper or anything else that is pure white.

2. As long as you don't have a pre-painted back on your tank. Tape the white piece of paper on the back of your tank.

If you do have a painted back. You'll want to use a laminated sheet of paper to take and stick it inside the back of the tank. You can do this with a suction cup or magnet. Then follow the exsisting steps.

3. Focus on the white sheet of paper and take a picture of the white paper.

4. Use that picture as your custom white balance

5. Take pictures and enjoy.

If your camera doesn't have a custom white balance feature then you can try to bring it into a photo editing software and try to custom white balance. May take a bit of time though if you are able to get it to look right.

Below is a link of what it will look like if you use a custom white balance.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f75/some-shots-of-my-tank-195545.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts