The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the best place to post this since you will all go way over my head probably before I'm done typing the question!

It would help if I can word this question correctly :(
This is regarding tanks lit by PC's only

Are actinic bulbs of any value to corals? I have asked before and was told it it for aesthetics only the corals don't use light from actinic bulbs.

In my little 5.5g tank 1 went from 1 18w bulb to 2 for a total of 36w I have 1 10k and 1 actinic. Is this an upgrade or do I really only have 18w of light beneficial to the corals?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Kelli

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I was reading something a long time ago that the actinics have something to do with zooplankton spawning. I really never followed up on it. But as Geoff said they are for our pleasure. I would remove mine because my reeflux bulbs throw out a nice blue hue but I like the dawn dusk effect

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I do have something to add here.

I have a LUX meater, though not as usefull as a par meter it can give me a general idea of light output. For Power Compacts, I have found that the LUX out of a Atinic "blue" is usually about 1/2 what the output of the same wattage 10K would be on the same reflectors. I have also found that the output from a "true" atinic is slightly lower than 1/2.

Whiskey

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Not sure if PC can achieve "true" actinic. I know they couldn't in the past, but I haven't paid attention to PCs in quite a while.

Even if the PAR isn't something like a halide, the light put out by an actinic bulb as a percentage is very usable photosynthetically. While many halides and full spectrum bulbs include more than one absorption "peak", they also have lots of "unusable" light. Again, by percentage of light output (and depending on bulb), one could say that 10K halides actaully put out more light "for our eyes" than actinics do. Lots of that 10K light is not usable, while basically all actinic output is usable - theoretically. All that unusable light adds heat for only visual (nonfunctional) gain. Not so with actinic.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is my anecdotal evidence for ya.

I've tried it without actinic's for a while and instead used a mix of 10 and 20k halides. But my coral's just seemed to do better with actinic suppliment's. The color of the coral stay's true as well, where with the 20k there was a clear shift toward's green with most of my coral's. Currently I'm using Geisseman actinic plus. My previous tank was just a few NO marine glow's.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geoff said:
actinics are mainly for our visual pleasure. they do have some PAR output, but not much, so there prolly is a small net increase in total lighting.

does it look better to you?

G~
Yep I love them especially the dawn to dusk effect I just want to do the best for the corals and still enjoy looking at the tank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts