The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at TAP Plastics today and found out that they could pretty much build me an acrylic tank and alls I have to do is give the measurements. Has anyone done this and if so any ideas on designs? How thick should the acrylic be? I am thinking that I would want a 100g or right around there. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Administrator
47,617 Posts
Hmm I am thinking at least 3/8 unless its real tall. Also the choice of adhesives will be real critical here.
I would suggest scoping out ready made, vs custom, vs doing it your self.
Unless youare real comfortable with acrylic bonding and such you might want to spend the money for a warrenty.
A simple sump might be a good starter project to consider,FWIW

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i work badly with acrylic all the time.:D i build just about anything i can out of the stuff. i built my 40g refugium out of 1/4" it is holding so far.:funny: i also tested it for days before hand. i think 3/8 sould be fine. i bet with their cuts you should be fine with DIYing. i would use the Weld-On 3 for the adhesive. this will capillary into the seam and fill it completely. if you use Weld-on 16 you could get bubbles in the seam.

i wish i had a Tap's Plastic by me, i would love to get my hands on some 3/8 or half acrylic. HD is the only supplier of acrylic i have around here.:(

G~

·
Registered
2 Posts
3/8's will be enough as long as A) the tank is not over 24" tall and B) it's not longer than about 5'. Long tanks will bow with thin acrylic. Garf has a DIY Tank building calculator on their page that will give decent recommendations. IMO, you should overengineer the tank. Check out Tenecor, see how they build a tank the size you want, then ask TAP to build it with those dimensions.
My 330 is 3/4" acrylic all around, but then again, it's 8' long and 30" high. Not even a teeny amount of bow in my tank.

Oh, one last recommendation...If they will build you a eurobraced tank, pay the extra for it. If I could do it again, I would have, that way my top would have been completely open and not 4 holes cut in the top.

Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the recommendations I will check out everything you all mentioned. Hey Mike, I do have one question "eurobrace" what is it how is it done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure....For illustration purposes, imagine looking down on 120 gallon glass tank, 4x2x2. It's got that plastic lip around the outside and that center brace too.

Eurobracing does away with that by putting a lip of acrylic (on an acrylic tank) around the inside of the tank. Imagine a 4" "shelf" glued to the inside top of the tank going all the way around. There's no center brace(s). The brace is typically thicker than the tank itself for strength reasons. So if your tank is 3/8's, they might do a 1/2 or 3/4 eurobrace.

If you've never seen it, it might be hard to imagine. I've searched and can't find a picture on the web but I know they're out there.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts