The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter was kind enough to get a piece of argonite caught underneath my magfloat yesterday. Any suggestions for removing interior scratches in an acrylic tank? Are there any kits out there that are really good & don't require me to empty the tank of livestock?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a kit from my LFS - I believe that it was a "Rainbow" Scratch remover kit that sold for $32. They say that you can buff inside while the tank is full - just not to do the final step which involves the liquid buff that they include.

Otherwise, the kit is made up of 8-10 pieces of sanding/buffing paper that start at 1500 grit and end up at 12000. You start with one horizontally, go to the next finer and buff vertically, and cycle through until you've done all of them - always alternating 90 degrees each time you change the grit. It will kick of some acrylic dust - maybe plan on doing a decent size water change when you're done just to be safe.

My tank was empty when I did it, but it definitely works - especially for larger scratches.

Good luck!

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Look for the micromesh acrylic repair kit with magnets. It works like a mag-float and you can repair the tank while it is full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.