The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mature 120 gallon with several happy corals. I've heard a lot of mixed stories about keeping acropora. It is so pretty! I have metal halides and plenty of water flow. I was wondering how hard acropora is to keep and what other considerations i should be thinking about! Thanks! :)
Austin

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
First of all I would like to welcome you to TRT! Got a pic of your tank?;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
First of all I would like to welcome you to TRT! Got a pic of your tank?;)

I read this quote from an hobbyist who I consider to be one of the best at what he does!;)

Mojoreef(Mike) writes: SPS are as easy to keep as mushrooms. The only difference is that they are more delicate and will not live through most fluxuations in any parameters. This is kinda why we tell folks to let their tanks mature before attempting them. A Mature tank is not really an age thing, its a tank that has gone through its cycles. The original nitrogen cycle, its algael cycle, bacterial cycle and what I call the moron cycle . The moron cycle is when we constantly screw around with our tank, tweeking a new skimmer, or calcium reactor or the plumbing set-up that doesnt quite work right and so on and so on. Once you get through the biological cycles and get your tank where you are not constantly screwing around with it you cn go for what ever you desire (based on your set up)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your hospitality and knowledge. THats one thing that i've always seen at TRT! Kindness and hospitality, especially towards beginning reef aquarists, when its important! I'm working on the pic! THanks again!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And by the way, What is the "J" Crowd? I probably seem stupid for asking! Anyways, thanks again!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
If your first name starts with a "J" than I will continue with an explanation if I can!!:rolleyes: :funny:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mojoreef(Mike) writes: SPS are as easy to keep as mushrooms. The only difference is that they are more delicate and will not live through most fluxuations in any parameters. This is kinda why we tell folks to let their tanks mature before attempting them. A Mature tank is not really an age thing, its a tank that has gone through its cycles. The original nitrogen cycle, its algael cycle, bacterial cycle and what I call the moron cycle . The moron cycle is when we constantly screw around with our tank, tweeking a new skimmer, or calcium reactor or the plumbing set-up that doesnt quite work right and so on and so on. Once you get through the biological cycles and get your tank where you are not constantly screwing around with it you cn go for what ever you desire (based on your set up)

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard it so well put.

Sadly, I might still be in that moron cycle :eek: But I can't believe I've never see this before - it hits the nail right on the head.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
mangomark said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard it so well put.

Sadly, I might still be in that moron cycle :eek: But I can't believe I've never see this before - it hits the nail right on the head.
Didnt I already see this in Johnnys post?:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts