The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so as a TRT newbie... :p I get lost constantly with all of the abbreviations and acronyms that you all use! How about replying with some that you normally use and what they mean! Then maybe I can start to understand some of these posts! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think there is a thread on this already, but here are a few...I'll edit my post as I think of more. Have any you are wondering about?!?

FO - Fish Only
FOWLR - Fish Only With Live Rock
LMB - Lawn Mower Blenny
DSB - Deep Sand Bed
SSB - Shallow Sand Bed
BB - Bare Bottom

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
:blob:Me too...ya know...I am sure there are about 100 that I was wondering about in the beginning! But my stupid brain is failing me!:help:
Lol,.. I keep seeing ones in other posts and asking myself if we'd got that one yet.

Ca = Calciam,.. normally used when measuring it.
ALK = alkalinity, measured in PPM (Very rarely) Dkh, or Meq/L
PPM = Parts per million
Dkh= Degrees of karbinite hardness
MEQ/L Miliquels per leater

The reason I use the acronims is I can't spell the whole word.

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
OOH!!! How did I forget these?!

LPS= Large pyloped stony (coral with a calcifing skeliton and large pylops like frogspawn)
SPS = Small pyloped stony,.. coral with CA skeliton and a thin layer of tissue with small pylops.

Softie= Soft coral,.. like leather.

Whiskey
Seriously, how did we forget these?!? These screwed me up for like 6 months!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OOH!!! How did I forget these?!

LPS= Large pyloped stony (coral with a calcifing skeliton and large pylops like frogspawn)
SPS = Small pyloped stony,.. coral with CA skeliton and a thin layer of tissue with small pylops.

Softie= Soft coral,.. like leather.

Whiskey

THANKS for these! They get me every time - but I have to admit that I still don't understand the difference. And what's really bad is that I have coral in my tank and I don't even know what's what... I'm just following the care instructions of my LFS (which I'm now starting to doubt) can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn about it all? A book or website you would recommend about the different types of corals? All the ones I have seem to be doing great - by that I mean that they're opening every day and growing fast...

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Just few not mentioned...

SW: salt water
FW: Fresh water
SG: specific gravity
RO: reverse osmosis
DI: Deionized
RO/DI: Duh :)
WC: Water Change

GSM: Gold stripe maroon (clown fish)

IMHO: In my humble opinion

SOB: :) (often refered to as my skimmer...)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Ok - at some point you're going to have to point me in the direction of the old post about this, or tell me what the heck happened because your signature seems so sad! :cry:
LOL...No biggy, I just had my 125 gal empty all over my family room and bar. (stupid hose came loose and pumped all the water from the tank on the floor). Had to remove carpet, repaint, etc, etc...the tank sits empty right now, but I am going to redo it with a FOWLR!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL...No biggy, I just had my 125 gal empty all over my family room and bar. (stupid hose came loose and pumped all the water from the tank on the floor). Had to remove carpet, repaint, etc, etc...the tank sits empty right now, but I am going to redo it with a FOWLR!
OMG - I can't believe that!! So did everything die?:cry:

Is there certain fish or something you can get with a FOWLR that you can't get if you have a reef tank? Is that why you want to do that?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
PITA = pain in the :censor:.
I got called this on a different site and went to my Mexican friend to see what it meant. He said it's not a word. I thought for sure I was being cursed out in Spanish.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts