The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 125 it was used freshwater but I got alot of used equipment with it because a lady was getting rid of everything. Right now I am off to hawaii for 2 weeks! But when I get back I have to finish my plumbing and then start my tank while I purchase my lights. I know nothing about lights at all so I need some help. I will not be keeping SPS but mostly easy corals such as polyps, mushrooms, leathers maybe along with some fish. So here is my question:
With the tank I got 2 dual bulb fixtures and I want to know if I can use them for my lighting. I attached a drawing of what they look like they have a mettalic shiny inside where the bulbs go. These look like the type you get with most tank setups from lfs except they are dual bulbs. I will be putting these into a hood(if they are ok) I will be DIYing. I got single bulb fixtures as well; I used these when I had my tank freshwater because I tried the 4 bulb ones and it got way to hot. (I had them right on the covers) Any input will be greatly appreciated. Also what type of bulbs(how many, how many watts, what kind, etc.) do I need for my 125 tank standard lxwxh. Thank you so much as always!
Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Are the lights 6' long? They would almost have to VHO, I've never seen NO 6' aquarium tubes; not completely sure on this tho, check the bulbs for any markings. I think 6' VHO are 160watts, X4 would be fine for softies.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The lights that you are reffering to are just 40W NO bulbs correct? A 125 gallon tank is fairly tall and I assume it is 6' long, exact height would help. You probably want to go with VHO or PC because of tank height and the desire to have some leather corals as well. I would suggest maybe 4 96W PC's I don't have any experience with VHO but I would go with similar wattage. This will allow you to place mushrooms and polyps on the bottom and be able to keep Soft corals as well with no problem.

·
Administrator
47,222 Posts
The lights that you have illustrated are probably the normal output standard aquarium bulbs and if so they are no where close to being enough light to support even low light corals.
If you have a standard configured 125 its taller than it is deep front to back, eh?
If thats the case you are going to need alot of light , maybe 4 of the 6' VHO tubes, minimum, long VHO is more cost effective Power Compact which is limited to 3' lamp length.
With a tank over 24" deep you may seriously want to consider going with Metal Halide from the start, 175 watt would work for low light softy tank but for a few $ more you can do 250w, which is a lot more versatile. If you are balking at the cost now, think about replacing everything later when you get the yen for light loving corals

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more info on lights

The fixtures are 3 feet each long. The tank is the standard all glass 72x18x22. Any more suggestions on fixture woudl be great. It sound slike I have to ditch em and get new ones, but would like a couple more opinions just to be safe. When I get home I will inspect them more carefully and give you more info. Thanks for the help to all who respond. You guys are the best!
Paul

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Yep, you can throw some vho's in the fixtures, you will just need to replace the ballasts. It will still be on the low end of light, but should be fine for shrooms on the bottom of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts