The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all here TRT. My name is Sheldon and i am a novice at salt water aquarium keeping. I have a 29 gallon reef tank that has been set up for a good six months now. I have 2 clowns, 3 yellow-tailed blue damselfish, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 green bubble tipped anemone.

For filtration i use the one that came with the tank which moves 225 gph through a carbon filter. I also have a powerhead which moves 165 gph. I have 25lbs of live cured live rock as well. For lighting i have a retrofit lighting system with 1 - 10,000K daytime lights and 1 True actinic blue lamps. It looks like 4 tubes altogether.

I also have recently purchased a 75 gallon tank. I have wanted to do this one much better than the first one. So I did a little research and am trying to do more with it. It is tempered glass so I cant make an overflow box but i would like a sump because after this tank is fully cycled i would like to turn my 29 gallon into a sump. I have a Ehiem classic externel filter canister thing. it pumps 116 gph and is my only source of water movement for now. I have 1 4 striped damselfish in there.I also have 20lbs of live rock. For lighting i have 1 10,000K light and 1 20W true actinic blue bulb.

I would like for this tank to house my 2 clownfish, 5-6 damsels, 1 yellow tang, 1 regal tang, 1 royal gramma, fire shrimp, and maybe a starfish, as well as anemone's, zoos, small polyps, brain corals, and a few other corals that i havent looked into yet.

I do have many questions and this site has helped with a bunch of them.
My first question i would like to know how i can set up a sump. I dont want any clutter on my tank and I know this is a great way to remove everything. Again i cant drill the tank and i just want to use my old tank for the sump. I have noticed that there is other sumps out there that have glass dividers in the sump and I am wondering if there is a way around it, as well as the benefits. Thanx

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright its been a while but here's and update. The first tank is done and over with. Sitting in my basement not being used anymore. The three blue damsels are gone as well. Everything else has been switched over to the 75 gallon along with a few new additions. First is 2 new toadstool frags :). The second is a yellow tang. Water conditions still good and the tank is well on its way. Its about 6 months old now and looking like it has many more to go.

cant really see the fish too well in this pic but oh well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts