The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing posts where people are trying to use stoves,gas burners, ovens, crockpots etc to cook their rock hopefully this will put an end to it.

Cooking your rock has nothing to do with heating your rock. You're just allowing the bacteria living on/within the rock to consume the waste that has accumulated over the years. Here's an easy step by step of the process.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f164/how-to-cook-your-rock-66551.html

·
Registered
814 Posts
well you want to up the temp while doing it dont ya? lol, jk, i know what youre trying to say, we really should just change the term to denitrifying rock....

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
It would actually be more like de-phosphating rock (is that a real term??)

Agreed, no stoves should be used in this process, yes you want to elevate temperature to drive the metabolism of the bacteria into OD, but you dont want to literally cook them :)

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
great thread, glad its a sticky one. maybe we can get a full definition, and techniques on how to cook live rock. (i could have used it)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
"bioprocessing" The rock would be more accurate, as ou are only reducing excess nitrogen, etc. in the rock...

·
Administrator
47,039 Posts
Didn't this used to known as "curing" rock, or am I thinking of something else? It's been a while...
no cured rock has been allowed to go through the basic Nitrogen cycle, ie ,the die off produces a lot of ammonia that convert to nitrite, then to nitrate and is safe to stick in a reef tank with out major catastrophe off the bat, but the phosphates released and then adsorbed during the cure that support the algae blooms are the issue. Biologically ridding the rock of help phosphates is the goal of "cookin" the rock

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Didn't this used to known as "curing" rock, or am I thinking of something else? It's been a while...
depends on how old school you are. if you are serious old school, then yes it is pretty close to that.

the difference is that curing the LR was done preemptively before putting the LR in the system. purging/cooking is correcting the problem after the fact.

G~

·
Registered
584 Posts
"Live rock recycling" maybe appropriate for an alternate term?

Not cycle -- as in nitrogen cycle -- but recycle, as in reduce reuse and recycle. The idea is, the live rock has been used up, and now you're preparing to be used again. Perhaps it's too much of a stretch, but I do agree with a better term it would help a lot with the misunderstandings.

"If I'm cooking this rock, I'm not going to use a panzy little aquarium heater and power head... I'm going to use my Bunsen Burner and get it done in no time!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like what I saw about cooking rock, can you do the same for sand? I was thinking of getting beach sand, cooking it, putting it as a base in my reef tank then seeding it with a few pounds of live sand. I live in the northeast so my beach sand would likely not support the same organisms that would be found in a tropical area.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

in general the sand up in the NE is not calcium carbonate based so there is no need to purge it. silica based sand does not absorb phosphates.

because of this reason it is even more important to siphon it regularly then if you were to use a calcium carbonate based sand since there will not be any absorbing property so the sinking ability of the sand is very limited.

can you purge calcium carbonate sand like LR, not really. it is very hard to keep the bacterial flock formed from the removal the phosphates from decomposing and releasing the phosphates again allowing the calcium carbonate to reabsorb the phosphates again. theoretically it is possible if you can keep the detritus from accumulating at all in the bed.

if you are unsure what the sand is composed of get some vinegar. put some of the sand in the vinegar. if it bubbles and dissolves, it is calcium carbonate, silica will not do anything.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
cocking rock what???????
Welcome to TRT!!

read the thread, it will explain what "Cooking" means. when you are done with this thread we can send you plenty more to help you get your head around keeping SW systems.

G~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I don't know if this is the correct forum or not, but I need to find the replacement resin beads used to make tap water thats going from the faucet, through my filter to my sump to my 125 gal saltwater tank safe from icky tap water to safe water.
Does anyone know what the product is? it's black and turns orange when it needs to be changed.
thank you

1 - 20 of 184 Posts