The Reef Tank banner

A nicely done Sunday....THANK YOU!

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  VWD 
#1 ·
A beautiful one on the rise out there!
Good morning all you Beautiful People and HAPPY SUNDAY!

I once again slept in, but only till 7 today.....body must have been needing it.

Getting ready to go get a grilled beneath the sunshine n fresh air breakfast going for us to kick our day off. No PLANS other than enjoying this beautiful day out there.
Peace,
Hack

#2 ·
Mornin Hack and everyone else that trickles in this morning. Was beautiful yesterday, absolutely perfect. We will get rain to day off and on. We had a new exterior door made for house and I picked it up Friday. My brother in law is coming around noon to help me install it. I am hoping the rain isn't too bad.

Sadly, I think I am gonna have to put my marine tank on the shelf for a little bit. Some things have come up that are making me question if I am gonna be able to devote the time to maintain it - particularly as a rookie. My parents are both in their 80's, dad has been battling blood cancer for a few years and now Parkinsons is taking it's toll. My mom has been caring for him but she is showing signs of early dementia. They live on their own half an hour away but I see the time coming when mom can no longer do it and my father can not really help her much any more. The plan was for my mom to move in with me if dad passed but now it is more likely they will both be moving here in the next year.

Have a great day everyone. Rick

#3 ·
Good morning Rick....
A truly heart felt sorry to hear about your Parents. But an equally heart felt well done for being the kind of Kids that step up to help Them!

A wise choice being made.....you can always start a hobby, Family.....cherish every precious moment.
Hope the weather allows for the door to get hung today.
GO.....take care of life Pal,
Hack

#4 ·
Good mawnin’, Hack, Rick, and all of TRT!l

Coffee is up, so reach over with your cups. With that grill going, I gave a cast iron heating up to cook eggs.

Rick - Sorry to hear about your folks’ heath difficulties.. good to hear that will be able to live with you!
Ohhh looking forward to seeing that new door! Hope the installation goes well for you and your brother-in-law.

My brothers and sisters-in-law are heading for home. OK folks are NOT going byway of Atlanta this time. 🥳

Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!

#6 ·
Oh! Cast iron is the way to go for eggs Cath!

Hack, thanks, I am extremely fortunate to be turning 59 this year and still have both my parents. Many don't have that priviledge. I bought this house with the idea of them living here in mind and the renovations thus far have partly been to accommodate it. I owe them so much they could live here well into their 120's and we still wouldn't be even.

Mornin Vinnie! I hope it is a nice sit on the porch and watch the puddles type rain. How is the recovery going down there?

#7 ·
OOhhhhhhh my goodness graceious......cast iron skillets n griddles are the ONLY WAY TO COOK!

Prayers for your Kin folks safe travels this fine day Cath.
Peace n fried eggs to All,
Hack

#8 ·
Hack the recovery is happening, for us we are done, but for many it will take years, still plenty without power, they are closing part of the interstate down today to run lines across.
We still have people trying to rebuild from the flood of 2016.
Its pretty much a constant thing here, everyone recovering from one storm or another.

#9 ·
.......We still have, though more than likely to a lesser degree the same thing around us Vinnie from Hurricane Sandy.....can't believe THAT was 2012.
There's some 'communities' that just aren't there any more.....and as far as the marine field.....not a week goes by when She's not mentioned.
Hack

#10 ·
What happened here that slows the process down or prevents it from ever happening is because of lack of insurance, flood insurance can be higher is south Louisiana depending on location. In many cases the home has been paid off and pass down to a new generation. They don’t want to pay the premiums. It makes them depend on FEMA and HUD and can take years for the actual rebuild money to start.
One of the things that I found amazing was how so many family homes are passed down to the kids for generations but not done legally, not on paper, so when they apply they can’t receive funding until a succession is done. It always pop up during the title search. So that delays the process

#12 ·
Morning Hack, Rick, Cath, Vinnie, and everyone else.
Rick, sorry to hear about your parents. Dementia is a horrible thing for anyone to have to experience. My step dads mom had it, and it made her a very different person. But she had her good days, and that’s the ones cherished the most.
Hack, no plans here anymore either. Already got out early and worked on my car a little. Trying to get things lined out on it to start driving it this week.
Cath, as usual thanks for the coffee. Much needed already. And I agree with Hack, cast iron is the only way to cook breakfast especially.
Vinnie,I absolutely love the Deep South but don’t think I could ever live there. We rarely deal with flooding here, but it does happen. But being in the blast zone of a hurricane somewhat regularly would stress me too much. You guys are much tougher than I am. But I guess if you’ve lived there long enough, you know the routine on how to be prepared. Glad to see you all made it out somewhat unscathed.
To everyone else, have a great Sunday!

#14 ·
Morning all getting ready for resumption of work duties. 50 this am heading for 82 . NICE intro to fall, usually we are on last throes of summer heat, but all that started with June's triple digits.
Rick sorry to hear your folks aren't doing so hot. Good that you have the room and wherewithal to take them in.
I understand about rebuilding, after the Alemada fire a year ago very few homes have been rebuilt. A lot of the main street in Phoenix have come back but the blocks of houses and the mobile home parks are still empty.

#15 ·
I don’t want to bore you with a long story but I may,
I worked in the recovery thing for years with FEMA and GOHSEP,
I want to share one example of a typical grant. I had one applicate who was 80 years old and lost everything in Katrina, now I didn’t get her until maybe 5 years after the storm. Over the course of a year I worked on her paperwork. It’s not a matter of just doing paperwork it a bunch of research, meeting , taking photos and in the meantime you are working so many other projects at the same time.
She would alway tell me , Vince please get me back into my home before I pass away, it’s heartbreaking. You become very involve with people during the process.
finally after more then a year it happened, got everything approved and she got a new home and moved in. I was working on getting the final paperwork done to payoff the contractor she passed away. It was stuff like this that drove me to work relentlessly. Down here in Louisiana it is a live hate relationship with the people. When we where in New Orleans and having lunch we would take our FEMA badges off. You didn’t want to be harassed by the ones that hated up and thought we didn’t do anything. It’s still like that .
I have story after story just like this one.

#16 ·
Lazily pulling ourselve's away from the fresh air breakfast table, and moving towards the next 'nothing' that presents it'self.
Food Kitchen appliance Tableware Ingredient Recipe

Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Home appliance Outdoor grill rack & topper

I don't do 'Boy Scouts' real well......I'M AN ARMY FEEDER type fella! 😁
THAT made the 3 of us nicely stuffed.👍 And some doggies pretty thrilled with my 'over cooking amount' abilities as well.;)

While I'm being picture happy.....last week I smoked some cheeses, that shall we say 'co-habitated'.......last night was the proof is in the chomping.....
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Rectangle

Food Ingredient Recipe Cheese Cheesemaking

It's 'smoked' cheddar, gulda, colby,and monterey cheese.🤔😁:cool:

And THAT WORKED!!! Pepperoni and Everything crackers agreed!
Hack

#17 ·
Afternoon all,
Rick, sorry for the life’s struggles looming over your head. Sounds like you are ready willing and able to do what is needing to be done when that happens.

Paid bills and that sorta stuff midway thru the day.
One saving grace is a good part of them can be dealt with over the phone or online.

Looks like I’ll be picking up a new utility trailer in the morning. 6’x14’ is prob a bit larger than what I’d be using it for, but rather have excess room than being too small.

A right knee has been giving my trouble the last few days. And think the bending I did ( pulling out the fridge to remove the back cover to clean its coils ) aggravated things ,grrr. Just can’t find a happy spot with the knee to lessen the ouch factor.

New( to me) truck has a tire losing air, was gonna pul it myself ( and if I find the puncture point I could plug it here) but currently I’m leaning toward just taking the truck into town and let them do the entire process. Not feeling like dealing with it myself.

Think/hope the Deere tractor stuff arrives tomorrow, been delayed a few days so far . It’s not like I NEED it ASAP, but more to check it off as stuff showing up here .

On to the evening, and see how the latest pain/muscle salve does or if I need to try another form to lessen the knee pain,, ow/grr.

Hope everyone is having a great day

Reactions: cath
#18 ·
Howdy Jeff, and All!
Oooooo....soar knees and waiting for an over due package....BOTH tough pains in different parts on the anatomy! 😁

Italian subs for your dinning pleasure this fine evening.
In my efforts to not do anything today, things got accomplished. Well smack my pony! Pool got cleaned, though technically I WAS swimming also. Cleaned and changed another 25 gallons on the reef tank. AND, ummmmm....ehhh, that's enough bragging, I'm getting worn out.

Tell Y'All what, this site is back open for business again....It's hoping out there on the ole proverbial interstate!:cool: Watch crossing the road.

Fuzzy warm thoughts to All,
Hack

#20 ·
Hi, Hack, Vinnie, Rick, Jeff, Christian, and Doug!

Hack - What are you sayin’ about doing some nothing. You got the whole country and Canada drooling over that.🤤😂

Vinnie - Sad, sad, stories about trying to help people that lost everything. Bless you for the work you did.

Christian - Hope you had fun working on your car today. Any photos?

Doug - Good to hear about your cooler temps leading into the fall.

Jeff - I enjoyed reading about your long-range thoughts about getting a GSD pup. That would be some fun reading around here.

SC can get some flooding from LOTS of rain that’s not even from a hurricane. But a few years ago the Midlands area (the area around Columbia, the state capital) had serious flooding associated with a hurricane. That is not typical for that area if the state. But that’s no where near what Vinnie’s talking about.

Eeek. I didn’t mean to go on and on about flooding.

I’ll turn that around and sign off with grooviness wishes for everyone tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.