The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing is that I am surprised that I gotten in for i forget things and being that im trying to do so much, i forget certain items.

Being that I not had that much assistance on the 40, I gone out to the other lfs and surprise, the system has gotten larger.

I talk with the guy and I was looking for ideas in which I could have a better system then before for the 40 is now strapped being that the only thing i could use from what there is only the tank it self.

Now I need you thoughts to this, the tank will now be a 120 and under it will be a 65 gal tank sump with a 20 gal H as the systems reservoir.

The cost just on the three tanks to do this are the,
120 $550
65 $130
20 H $55

The canopy I can not get a price until he order it and right now the canopy is to built 24" tall, or should this be a bit lower? And I will tell him I like two doors to open outwards.

Both skimmers I giving him on paper so that he might check them out for at his store is no skimmer that I would use. And the lights will be done later and being that now I a deeper tank and larger, will I go with two 250 watts MH and also they burn on both ends? I will not run these lights until im almost ready to begin with the SPS corals.

So those are the new figures here, I like to hear what all your think of it and if all is well for this, I will right on the 20th of this month go out and place a down payment on this and soon get the quote price for the stand and canopy.

I need to email this person photos of the tank stand I have on both the 180 and 240 so that he tries to match.

The reactor I will also get later with the lights upgrade.

I also told the lfs person that I will be needing jack supports due to that there be a crawl space under the house and he was suggesting that he could do this with stones and I told him to do it with both, stones and jacks, two jacks I requested.

:arg: lmbo

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
From what i can uinderstand i only have 2 comments.

you don't need to post the prices of items you are buying.

your hood only needs to be 12" inside height. 2' is way too tall.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Seems like your $2500 budget is going out the window pretty fast. Are you going to have any money left to buy anything to put into the tank? I am confused, is this new 120 gallon tank to replace the 40 gallon QT or is it in addition to the 40?

·
Registered
948 Posts
i think you can get a top of tank at a hardware store. a rubbermaid. i did and my 3 year old niece painted all kinds of pretty colors. and it was cheap. I thing u might need to do some research. U can get do it yorself plans from the internet. 2 jacks and cement block support for your tank seems like overkill but you know your home better than me. I dont think i understood the rest

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoang, I not simply have a budget of $2500 for the whole setup for the lights and reactor and such, will be added on early next year and by having on hand a 1/4HP chiller just seating around here, im spared the extra spending by some $600. So no, the budget part is only until after the start of next year for my goal is to get this tank setup so that it could begin to age and i will fill it with water straight from my RO/DI unit. And the lfs guy will add the cost for about #100-150 LR (uncured) and I know that I might have to leave that out and get #30-50 at a time when I can. Or if worst comes to worst, I get about 15 damsels to help cycle the tank and still add the LR in slowly.

tellycoleman, This house is one of the first houses build in this area and like were i wanted to place the 180 reef tank, the floor there is way too weak and being on much of what my Son-in-law told me, I take no chances. and this 120 will be in the same room as the 180 and 240.

OK, I spoken too Salty Waters>

Aquatic Concepts which is now called salty waters will email me a price quote before the end of this weekend, lease he says he will.
120 gal QT reef system with a 65 gal tank as its sump and 20 gal H reservoir and also I spoken to him of a close Ioop system in which now will need two main pumps and I told him that I wanted the main return to be somewhat better then 1500 gph.

Also I told him to see about having the MR-2R skimmer and since now I will keep also the 40 for FO QT for I cannot add any medications in with corals and so I told him I have a DSB of 3.5 to 4 inches and if all that not go over or to close to $2,000> I will get to start with not less then #100 LR (uncured).

He will now put in the jack supports I requested for before he said that I had to call an electrician to do this>

He also made it sound that I will have a problem in getting the skimmer out of this system in which this statement coming from him have me at a lost.
So if he was going to say that he wouldn't do the supports, my next best bet I figured was that I have to drive out to Greensboro NC. to Aquamain's Fish World., about a two hour drive.

Also the 40 will stay as a FO QT and the corals with a number of fish that will stay in the 120 will only be a QT for corals and not any new fish arrivals for to medicate this 120 would become a huge problem and I will do nothing to upgrade the 40

Buddy

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Or if worst comes to worst, I get about 15 damsels to help cycle the tank and still add the LR in slowly.

Please do not put any animal thru this. that would be just cruel. If the damsels make it thru the cycle you will never be able to get them back out.

All you need is a 5# piece of uncured live rock, and that will start the cycle. Have you looked into getting some dry base rock? and only a few pounds of uncured live rock?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excuse me DevilBoy, for one thing, I'm no beginner and in the last give or take some 30 years or more that when ever I moved a tank or start a new system, I wait first better then two weeks and out of a so many dozens of damsels, I lost maybe no more then a small hand full. like four years ago when my twin tanks system was moved, I waited two weeks and added 30 damsels and I not lost one other then after I added the eels to the tanks.

I not thought about getting some dry base rock for in all my tanks is only LR>

I not know why, but im getting no email when somebody post their response!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please do help, you only thought I not knew how to best manage most marine life if anything. I never add any fish in the first few days as a good many often do and im sure you know that their loses are much greater.

I do however need any suggestions on a another skimmer if this new lfs person says that the MR-2R wont work with this 120. You have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Excuse me DevilBoy, for one thing, I'm no beginner and in the last give or take some 30 years or more that when ever I moved a tank or start a new system, I wait first better then two weeks and out of a so many dozens of damsels, I lost maybe no more then a small hand full. like four years ago when my twin tanks system was moved, I waited two weeks and added 30 damsels and I not lost one other then after I added the eels to the tanks.

I not thought about getting some dry base rock for in all my tanks is only LR>

I not know why, but im getting no email when somebody post their response!
this may be the case but i still agree with devil boy. it is like putting you in a smokey room for a few weeks. you will live but you won't be happy. TRT will never condone hurting or causing discomfort to our fishy friends.

Please be more polite in your replies to people who are trying to help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I'm really and truly at a lost for I feel I said nothing wrong in any type of attitude other then telling I never junp to do the wrong thing. Still, no one is perfect and it may be only the words I type that you took it wrong. I also wasn't being trying to sound like some novice hobbyist who acts like they not need to be told about something as in what DevilBoy was trying to let me know about. And if I not knew in how to handle the damsels to start with, i would had ask DevilBoy to when he thinks I might do this. If a problem still remain with this in your thinking, then do revoke my membership and no hard feelings. For I wasn't trying to sound rude or aggressive about it. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

PS. Its like all else when I answered others on their eels and so many times I was always misunderstood, but that part is mostly over for i no longer because of a real nasty and rude person that other links like RC allowed this person to say things and they said nothing.

Also I never bashed another because their doing something crazy in the type of eel and the tank size they have. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Now I'm really and truly at a lost for I feel I said nothing wrong in any type of attitude other then telling I never junp to do the wrong thing. Still, no one is perfect and it may be only the words I type that you took it wrong. I also wasn't being trying to sound like some novice hobbyist who acts like they not need to be told about something as in what DevilBoy was trying to let me know about. And if I not knew in how to handle the damsels to start with, i would had ask DevilBoy to when he thinks I might do this. If a problem still remain with this in your thinking, then do revoke my membership and no hard feelings. For I wasn't trying to sound rude or aggressive about it. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

PS. Its like all else when I answered others on their eels and so many times I was always misunderstood, but that part is mostly over for i no longer because of a real nasty and rude person that other links like RC allowed this person to say things and they said nothing.

Also I never bashed another because their doing something crazy in the type of eel and the tank size they have. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Hey OMOTS,

Regardless of your intentions, the post came across somewhat aggressive. No matter how long you've been in the hobby, there's always rooms to learn, try something new, or better understand how to handle things. I quite agree with DevilBoy, cycling a tank with fish is pointless. Saying it's cruel is debateable, as often times folks will buy live fish as feeders (is that also cruel?), but there are other (read, better) ways to initiate a cycle.

There's nothing wrong with being a Novice aquarist... personally I think 99% of the folks here are novice (you and I included), and implying that you're otherwise gives the impression that you don't want to be given advice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to get out the door in a few minutes so listen to this please>

During these times when Im asking so many questions in SPS reef systems I gotten from many a attitude just because they not understood a thing with me and I simply told then in return that if you not understand the question then please not reply in the way they had and if they were more serious in trying to assist me on any ides, they could had ask for me to clarify the question. And they were insulting about my typing and not one Mod in those forums had said anything. "End of Story>

I will read your response when I get back home, sorry :(

Just remove this thread being its ruined now :(

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Buddy,
i woudl have to agree that the use of Fish to start the cuycle is not a great idea, but things change over time. you can use a piece of raw uncooked shrimp to do the same thing..

as for the tanks them selves, MRC also makes sumps you may be able to get a good/ better deal with you think about combo of the sump/ skimmer. that vendor has always been great to TRT members.
the MH question, yes the height of the Hood at 24 inches is a bit too high, but this also gives you lots of room to play with setting of everything under the hood.
Are you thinkging of using HIQ bulbs? not sure what you mean about the light at both ends.
withthe MR2 not working, i belive it is the height problem that the LFS person might be talking about. Talk to the vendor about it. they will work with you on it. they do have a forum here where you ccan ask questions about his equipment.

Since you are looking at a CLS , are you also going to raise the live rock off of the sand bed?

are you set on a glass tank or have you looked at acrylic tanks? this will also help with your floor weight problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim,
Yes, there is always something to learn and im doing that right now while preparing to start or have three SPS reef systems for in which it is a new step for me. I keep lower lighting SPS corals before, but nothing in what I been trying to plan on here. I also not want any damsels in any of my reef tanks and I called the lfs guy telling him to price the LR separately for I believe the LR will run me a total cost of more then $2500 and as was mentioned, I would get me #50 of uncured LR to help start the tanks cycle. For I never had in any reef tanks any damsels. For devilboy suggested then only get #5 of LR in which I figure as much as #50.

Twitterbait, I have one little problem and I not know why it is for I moved four years ago and I had only euroreef skimmers and out of the five ER I have, only one runs all the time. Lets see if i can explain that.

When i use to live at the appartment i had and when there was a slight power flicker the skimmers then all continued running a second or two when the power was on again. But when i moved, these skimmers now not restart up again except for one that is a different design. And here now where I live, I get for more of these slight power flickers and lots are in the warmer months. But still are happened all year round. Its something to do with the sedra 5000 pump.

I desire more too have the ER skimmers then the ASM, but now I need to have a skimmer that will not fail when something as this happens and im not home to help it start up again. I had great results with the ER skimmers.

The Octopus Recirc Dual Pump Needlewheel 150, I made a note on that and while im waiting im checking out others who a large SPS tank seeing what type of skimmer they have.

SO Tim, I been reading something as that for sometime now on the raw shrimp and if anything, I perfer to do this with LR

Yes, I selected right now a MRC, the MR-2R and the guy made some type of comment that i would have difficulties in getting it out and the stand i told him is to be 32", so what is he talking about I will have a problem to remove it?

Tim, This is the first time im dealing with having MH, so I have no idea in what to look for. And what I mean by that they burn at both ends is that their double ended bulbs and I been only getting all glass tanks, acrylic tanks damage too easy. I know that acrylic tanks are somewhat lighter in weight and that why i requested two jack supports. I rather have more then what I need then to have needed it and not have it, I hope I said that right. LOL

There is one thing however I just thought of, how much will my power bill be with all this? Right now my bill averages out around $90 to $110 and I will have in all nine 250 watts MH bulbs the same as mentioned here. and in all as well I will have four chillers if not three running.

Thanks ;)

PS, Im still receiving no email on when any member responds>

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hi Buddy,
as far as the emails go. i checked your userCp, everythign is good to go. you might want to check your junk or spam box. if you dont se anything there , send me a pm with your current email address and i will make sure that is the one in yoru userCp.

yes running with the LR will be great to start it all off. i woud strongly suggest looking at a few vendors here to see the current prices of LR and base rock. you may save some money in the long run.

Yup the double end bulbs will heatthings up including your Electric bill. please remind me.. you are also using VHO with it? i do know of a few that run there MH lighting for only a few hours at a time with SPS corals. so you may be able to play with the amount of time the lights are on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes Tim, i checked my junk mail and there is nothing there as well, I just have to check back when im the time to do so and upon your request, I PM you my email address.

The other problem for me is in how much I can manage to carry if I have to buy the LR and transport myself for I have in the lower part of my back, three rupture disk and as with my grandchildren, they not understand why it is that I cannot pick them up as I would like too. I can carry a certain weight limit and at times I can carry even far less for even too carry at one time a LR that weight around #15, this rock could be difficult for me to raise it above my head to get it in the tanks, but it also depend on the day on how the pain I have is at that time as well.

If it comes, the worst is that I wait on the LR and add as much as I can even if a month later or so and that would mean that I not buy any fish for this tank until its in and that the water quality allows me too do so. For I can as well try that route on the raw shrimp , but only i not ever did this method and im only sure of one thing, that im not know just how long a period to leave this in. And if im too go this route, I will need to setup the container with an air stone and pump with a powerhead to help cure the LR prior to placing in the tank, and I know not too simply place all #50 at one time.

I will look at a other members tanks here, just right now until im set with the tank as in the way it be setup with, the skimmer is the one item that remains in question and im looking for other ideas for if at salty waters come and say its not feasible.

And yes, also VHO, I not as yet talk that with the guy on the 120 as yet for im planning to do the lights after the start of the new year.

I not think I ever noticed that one was running their MH only a few hours for I know the lighting are on for as long as 13 hour in total time and the MH are on about 7-8 hours of the time period. That however is another issue for i think i should stick with the present issue in getting this system setup and with what equipment. One step at a time as they say> :read:

Buddy ><{{{{">

1 - 20 of 40 Posts