The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am going to transfer my fish and LR from my 75gal tank to a 38 gal tank so I can redo the 75gal (unwanted idems need to be removed and would be too stressfull on the fish). When I am done I plan on having both of them continue to run saltwater with the 38gal tank having fish/LR and some easy cheap corals in it but nothing extreeme (the 38gal with a sand bed and the 75gal with a crushed coral bed). What I have done so far to the 38 gal is put 60-75lbs of Southdown play sand in (spending 3-4 hrs rinsing all of it). I have the saltinity up to 1.022 and the tank heated to 82 deg. I used 15 gal of water from the 75 gal tank and the other 23 gal was freshly mixed. The 38 gal tank has been set up since Tues and now the sand has finally settled. What do I need to do from here to help the tank cycle so I can safely move the fish to there temporary home? I can NOT move all of the LR from the 75 gal tank because my manderan fish needs that to feed off of. All sugestions would be helpfull. I do not really know about starting a tank off since the LFS totally screwed me on telling me how to set up the tank and when to add stuff (that was 2 yrs ago). A better LFS helped me nuke the tank and stablize it and make it what it has become today (the 75gal tank has been running perfectly for 6mnths now). The only benifit of the whole mess was that my live rocks were mature by the time the whole tank mess got straightened out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is my main purpose of taking the fish and LR out so I can take the UGF out and add depth to the base.

NEED REPLYS ON CYCLING THE 39gal TANK SO I CAN GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD WITH IN A MONTH!!!! PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can probably go ahead and move the live rock too... there definitely isn't enough there for the Mandarin to feed on... I have over 70 lbs. of live rock in my tank and I still think my Mandarin died of starvation (though I'm still not sure).
Most of the places I've seen that sell Mandarins recommend that you have at least 100lbs of live rock or more with a healthy copepod population.
If I were you, I'd temporarily move all the stuff to the 38, remove the UG filter in the other, allow the 75 to settle back down and then move everything back. You can then probably leave a bit of the live rock in the 38 to let it cycle with a grocery store peeled prawn or something.
This way you don't have to worry about the 38 being fully cycled, since you'll be quickly moving all the specimens back to the 75 within a couple days... which should avoid any cycle-related stress in the 38.
That's just my opinion though.
Also (just FYI) typing in all caps on the internet is considered yelling... and you don't want to yell at us, do you? ;)
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pretty sweet deal buehlz... I just picked up a 2" baby carpet anemone (misidentified by the LFS) the other day for $14 and change... but your deal is just as good. :)
I also got a rock with 1 pink and purple polka-dot mushroom for $7 at our other LFS...
Deals sure are sweet during the summertime. :D
My tank is devoid of featherdusters... my copperband butterfly makes short work of them whenever they hitchhike in on a live rock, unfortunately... :(
Hope your tank move goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.