The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me everything that is needed to start a good, but cheap Nano Reef?
This is using a 24-gallon Aquapod by Current.

If you don't have the time or don't feel like makeing a complete list... please just add some stuff and I'll compile it together later. Thanks!!!

Mike:beer:

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Assuming that you plan on using the lights and filter that are std on the Aquapod.

You will need
RO/DI water
Sea Salt Mix
Refractometer
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate test kits
PH monitoring meter or test kit
Live Rock
Sand if you are using a sandbed
I'm sure there is more but thats all I can think of right now

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Any certain brand of salt mix or test kids that you recommend? :clown:

oh and for the lights... should i buy a timer? and if so... digital, or the heavy duty manual?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I use Instant Ocean salt mix and sailifert test kits for ALK and Calcium & Aquarium Systems test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
Timers are good I have digital ones last one I picked up was 7.99 at petsmart for a single set of lights I think whatever kind you are most comfortable with will be fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yay. thanks. I've added all these accesories to my online cart with the exception of live rock and sand. thanks for all of your help! a 14 year old in reefing needs lots of help. haha :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do :D

Should start around the summer time. Thats when i'm gonna get a job to make some cold hard cash. :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
if you would like to avoid mixing and pouring salt and measuring and whatnot, i like to use Catalina "Real Ocean" Water, i get it at Petco (thats about all i buy from there for fish related items) you can get this all premade and ready for use for about 8-9 bucks in a 5 gallon box. its alot easier, and less messy. its a good starter for noobs. or guys like me who are in college and dont have all that extra time during weekly maintenence.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohh thats a great idea! Never rly thought of that. Does Petsmart sell it too? If they do that would be alot easier than PetCo for me :agree:

And how do you like your 12g NanoCube? I've heard they are pretty nice :) What exactly can you keep in a tank like that?

·
Registered
482 Posts
i like my nanocube, although it gets expensive once you start adding all the mods you can do w/ it... i liked my D.I.Y. 5.5g i had last year. but all in all the cube is really nice. i have seen people w/ percs, but i typically stay away from fish now because of the bioload. im sure if u wait around here a while, someone else can answer that question for you much better than i. i just recently set my cube back up, currently i have 2 blue leg crabs and 2 black turbo snails, a few shroom frags and a small brown/orange polyp frag. but its only been a month... or a lil less. currently i have an order through nanotuners for a new heatshield to lower the temp of the tank, the coolest thing about the nanocubes are the custom additions you can add to it, here check out nanotuners at: www.nanocustoms.com maybe that can give you some ideas. they also deal w/ aquapods too!

btw, im not sure if petsmart has that water or not, i never really shopped there for it. im sure you can order it online tho.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
even the 2006 DX models? I heard that these had the problems all worked out and they don't break anymore:eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm you make an interesting point... I guess they would need some time, not sure whether to take my chances... also i heard that the problems with the glass breaking were mainly from the original 24 gallons. idk we'll see in June when i actually get enough money for everything. :thumbup:

I'm hoping for some :fish: :fish: :fish: by late July maybe? lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
i had the glass crack down the back of my first 12g DX, had to order a replacement. im pleased w/ the NC's. They are fun to tweak w/ especially if you are a big fan of D.I.Y.

·
Registered
195 Posts
skilter said:
if you would like to avoid mixing and pouring salt and measuring and whatnot, i like to use Catalina "Real Ocean" Water, i get it at Petco (thats about all i buy from there for fish related items) you can get this all premade and ready for use for about 8-9 bucks in a 5 gallon box. its alot easier, and less messy. its a good starter for noobs. or guys like me who are in college and dont have all that extra time during weekly maintenence.
Many of the LFSs in my area sell already mixed salt water for around $0.75 a gallon

·
Registered
482 Posts
haha, yeah i would use the pre-mixed water too, but the petco behind my house is about .25 miles from me so i just hop over there and back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts