The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I can't believe I did this...but, a friend was moving and couldn't take their FW tank with them and I volunteered to take it. I've had it about 2 weeks now...

Anyway...that said--the only occupant is an Oscar fish(black/red/grey colored), it's about a year old and is pretty big (HUGE compared to my fish anyway). She gave me some Cichlid Pellets to feed it...however...the guy doesn't seem to want to eat them. There are 2 different size pellets in the canister...it eats the small ones but won't touch the larger ones.

I'm afraid it's not getting enough to eat...any suggestions on additions to his diet? I can't believe that the pellets are all he's ever been given (just because my fish get a "gourmet" diet--I guess I assume everyone treats theirs the same...) and would like to give him some variety...

Any help is appreciated...

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Beaches, you're in luck... I keep oscars as well...

The thing with Oscars, they like to sulk... If you move their tank to a new location, they will sulk... Part of the sulking is fasting themselves.. Don't worry about him not eating.. He WILL when he gets hungry enough... Be prepared for the long haul with this fish as Oscars can easily live for 12-15 years...

The minimum tank requirements for a single oscar is a 55 but a 75 is reccomended... They get to about 15 inches in length when fully matured..

Believe it or not, pellets are the best staple diet for an oscar... As treats, you can give him prawns, frozen blood worm cubes, tubifex worms, krill cubes... Just make sure his main diet is pellets... If he starts getting fussy about what he eats, don't feed him for a couple of days... It sounds cruel, but trust me, all oscar keepers have to let their fish go hungry sometimes...

Oscars are very suceptable to HITH (Hole In The Head) disease... Noone really knows what causes this, but most theorize that it is bad water parameters... Oscar tanks need extremely heavy mechanical filtration... They chew up their food and spit it out leaving crap all over the tank... This is just normal behavior for them... Do weekly 20% water changes with a good gravel vacuuming and he should be fine... (There are no DSB's in FW keeping... ;) )

Lemme know if you have any more questions...

And dont worry... he'll perk up eventually, he's just upset about the move...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it, these fish can go for weeks without eating. They are stubborn fish and will go on hunger strikes if they dont like something, they will eat eventually. Maybe they just don't like you, seriously I have seen them not eat for certain people, or even be aggressive towards them.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup everything is above is true, and you have no cause for alarm.

i have kept oscars for years as well. (my last one jsut died a few months back.. i had him 7 years, and he was full grown when i got him..oh, and he was 14" in december)

yes, pellet food is all they NEED. and you will have ot vacume the gravel, at minimum every other week. they are very messy eaters. i did mine weekly.

the other thing oscars love is live food. crickets and feeder comets. mine ate approximately 50 feeders a week, and i would give crickets about once a month.

they can go for very long periods without eating. yo ucan also try not just putting the pellets in, but rather holding them jsut above the water surface until he comes to get it.

mine would eat from my hands. and ifcompany was over, hewould jump roughly 3 inches up out of the water, to take food from my hand :) that always impressed people.

oscars are refferred to as the puppy dog of the water world. they are very smart. will sulk when they arent happy, will eagerly follow thetank owner if you go near the tank. and somewill elt you pet them. mine would come right up to the surfce, and icould reach in and stroke the side of his body.. ok so i'm a snail stroker AND a fish stroker.. great)

oh, and dont think of adding anything else in the tank, they wil leat anything that is smaller than them. and dont plan on getting to crafty with fake rocks, plants, castles, etc.. oscars are diggers, they will aquascape however THEY want it. plants will be uprooted, rocks and castels etc.. will be turned over.

they also like to dig and makea shallow spot in the rock that they will lay down in at night to sleep.

enjoy your new friend!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...hold on just a minute...he's gonna get how big? Right now it's in a 20g L with a few rocks (I already found out about the re-arranging) he seems to have enough space (I'm guessing he's about 5" in length) and yes, does "pout/sulk" when I go up to the tank--I believe he's aptly named as Possum!! He has one tank buddy (came with the tank)--it's a rather large snail that he plays "soccer" with...doesn't appear to be trying to eat it...just knocks it off the walls and along the tank floor.

I'm not really interested in feeding him "live" food--I tried some pieces of shrimp, but he just spit em out. Someone suggested some peas or broccoli, but I haven't tried these yet--I know my goldfish really likes these--but not sure about the diets of these fish. Guess I'll be learning new stuff as I go along--just want him to be healthy and happy!!

Thanks for the input!

·
1,262 Posts
The fish is going to need AT LEAST a 55 gallon tank... If you don't plan on getting him his own 55 or 75 gallon, please bring the fish to a fish store or post on www.oscars-r-us.com or www.oscarfish.com and see if someone will take the fish...

Right now he is going to go into a growth spurt... They generally grow about an inch a month for the first 10 months... If kept in a smaller tank than adequate, they will stunt their own growth... (in the amazon, the rivers go very low at times, and the fish are adapted to this and can slow down their growth to survive the low water levels)... This isn't a long term solution as the sifh will be come deformed...

My buddy has an oscar that is 18 inches long... Being that a 55 is only 13 inches front to back, you can see that a 55 wouldn't do for him... He's in a 180 gallon all by himself...

Ya need to make the decision now if you are going to keep the fish for the long haul... If not, please find him a good home...

·
Registered
288 Posts
ok, a 20 gal is going to be a problem, my 7 year old oscars are about 15" long, they have been this large for many years, they grow extremely fast. I do not think an oscar would be very interested in brocolli, they are predators.

·
Registered
743 Posts
hexamite is caused by either poor diet which seems to be the rarer or by protoza which come in to your tank typicaly from feeder goldfish. oscars are a terrfic fish one of the smartest you can own before you know it he will be asking you to get petted

jim

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Oscars are cool "pets"! yours is probably pouting,,
and yes the tank it's in now , will not be big enuf shortly,,,
try any kind of food,,pellets ,,Tetra food sticks are a good one for it,,fresh fish etc.,,,
last one i had,,,,b4 my "salt experience" was a 13" tiger oscar,named,,,,,,,"Oscar" i am so deep!
i kept a handball in the tank for him, he'd play ball by himself , and amuse himself and us.
(my dad still has a pic of him in his wallet:confused: :rolleyes: )
and yes, it's in their after my pics :p
don't worry about aqua- scaping the tank the oscar will do it himself..
cool fish, they tend to become pets real quick,,,
good luck!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i'll chime in too. a 20gal YIKES...

he will outgrow that before the year is up!

live food is not a mandatory, they jsut like it because they are predators. mine would not eat a dead feeder, only if they were live and swimming.

that's why the pellets are so popular, and htey contain what the oscar needs. chances are for the moment, if he's not eating the pellets, hes not gonna eat anythign you give him. hes jsut pouting about the move.

btw: as the oscar grows, they make many sized pellets. they make pellets from as small as tiny granules to as big as a "cheeto"

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
BTW: Hicari has pellets made pretty much made for Oscars,,
Trout chow(pellets) if you can find them (feed store) are real good for them,,,and cheap!
another thing after a large enuf tank,,,good strong mechanical filtration,,,,

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Geez Buzz hog,,,i checked the link to oscars you put up,,,man! all those people out there,,,,Pre-reef......LOL
nice talking to ya just now on IM also,,,
good luck on the lion,,,like i said , hunger will win,,,;)

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Beaches, i see you are in Fla,,,,ahem,,,,don't even tease out loud 'bout letting it loose in your waters,,,,
but i don't think i have to tell you 'bout that,,,,;)

·
1,262 Posts
If you're interested, I've got the perfect filter for an Oscar tank...

It's an Eheim 2128 Thermofilter... Eheim are the best canister filters ont he market and this one has a digital display with thermometer and an internal heating element... I'm tearing down my 125 gallon FW tank and I can't use that filter on a saltwater tank because the heating element will corode with salt...

On a 125, this filter is perfect when supplemented with an Emperor 400... It would handle a 75 or 90 all by itself...

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:
If you're interested, I've got the perfect filter for an Oscar tank...

It's an Eheim 2128 Thermofilter... Eheim are the best canister filters ont he market and this one has a digital display with thermometer and an internal heating element... I'm tearing down my 125 gallon FW tank and I can't use that filter on a saltwater tank because the heating element will corode with salt...

On a 125, this filter is perfect when supplemented with an Emperor 400... It would handle a 75 or 90 all by itself...
sounds like a good one to use,,,
Oscars have a knack for mouthing the heater tube,,,and bouncing it off the back glass,,,
well, you know what happens next,,,
experience is knowledge,,,

·
Registered
743 Posts
the neatest thing i feed them is crickets hold em just above the water and he will jump out to get em :D

jim

·
1,262 Posts
Yeah.... The only heater I would put in an Oscar tank is an Abo-Jager... That 2mm Pyrex glass earns it's keep....

I used to have a floating thermometer stuck to the glass with a suction cup... One of my O's would pull it off the glass ans start playing with it... He'd take it to the bottom, it would shoot up and smack off the lid... He would do this constancly... I was worried it would bust open and get mercury in the tank...

He didn't like my large pleco (11 inch) so he would get a mouthful of sand and rock and swim over and spit it at the pleco... The pleco was Mr. Perconality also... he'd get pissed off and go after the oscar... It becamse a big game of cat and mouse... Needless to say, an 11 inch pleco and a 12 inch oscar chasing each other around the tank made quite a mess of the decor...

The tank has a good view of the kicthen, so whenever they would see me going into the fridge or freezer, they would start bumping the lids on the tank urging me to get them some treats while I was in there.... If I came back without something, they would spit sand at the front glass...

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
singin' to da choir B Hog,,,,
sounds like my ol Oscar,,,
plus the Ebo's had a lil better suction cup mount,,,no bouncing the heater off the back glass,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
sounds like the Bumblebee Grouper i had inna 55g,,(he was only16" long) long story,,,i "rescued " it from a place that hadda get rid of him,,,he ate all the other fish,,
eat ATE a power head! well everything but the motor,,,took a year or so b4 i got all the pieces back , when he would "burp" them out,,,i hadda move fast, the ol dummy would want to inhale them again!:rolleyes:
in time , he ended up at my ex-partner LFS,and then to a monster sized tank,,,,i think he's still around,,,,,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.