The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Does anyone have any experience with the Eheim Pro 3 2080 or the Eheim Pro 3e 2078? Would these kick butt for a 90 gallon saltwater tank? If not can you recommend one that will be easy to use, extremely quiet and a monster cleaner that will stand the test of time?

Also, if I do a 90 gallon with live rock & live sand with fish and inverts. will I need a protein skimmer? If so, can anyone recommend a really good one that's easy to use, extremely quiet & DOESN'T require me having a sump? I have a less that 3" clearance behind the tank. Any way of placing it beneath the tank WITHOUT having a sump? If so, please elaborate. :help:

Thanks all for you time and patience with me:clown:

·
11,345 Posts
Save your money. Canister filters not necessarya(or even necessarily desired) pieces of equipment for reef tanks. Your live rock stacked openly with good flow through it is all the filter you need.

However, since you were planning on dumping $300 into something you dont even need...heheheh...lets get you into a GOOD skimmer, and pull that tank just 1" farther away from the wall, drill the tank and add a sump. :agree:

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Save your money. lets get you into a GOOD skimmer, and pull that tank just 1" farther away from the wall, drill the tank and add a sump. :agree:
I wish I did this from the start! I just got my sump in a month or so ago and love it!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Save your money. Canister filters not necessarya(or even necessarily desired) pieces of equipment for reef tanks. Your live rock stacked openly with good flow through it is all the filter you need.

However, since you were planning on dumping $300 into something you dont even need...heheheh...lets get you into a GOOD skimmer, and pull that tank just 1" farther away from the wall, drill the tank and add a sump. :agree:
Okay guys, then tell me exactly how much is the min. amount of room needed for this sump? I would soo love to be able to fit it hidden in the cabinets beneath the tank and keep the tank tightly against the wall since with pulling it out it would block my entertainment center from properly opening. The largest cabinet opening is 15 & 1/2 deep x 16 & 1/2" in length x 24" tall. Help me out on this one and come up with something impressive that will be nice and quiet since it will be in a bedroom.

·
11,345 Posts
Okay guys, then tell me exactly how much is the min. amount of room needed for this sump? I would soo love to be able to fit it hidden in the cabinets beneath the tank and keep the tank tightly against the wall since with pulling it out it would block my entertainment center from properly opening. The largest cabinet opening is 15 & 1/2 deep x 16 & 1/2" in length x 24" tall. Help me out on this one and come up with something impressive that will be nice and quiet since it will be in a bedroom.
You need to get your priorities straight...the entertainment center has to go then :funny:

But seriously......How big is the ENTIRE opening under the tank?? We can most likey temporarily remove the center piece to fit a sump down there and not have the center piece have any bearing on this.

With clear directions are you or someone in your household going to be able to drill this tank??? Is the tank empty now??

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
do you already have the tank? if not, you need to see about getting one pre-drilled and reef-ready. you'd be able to put it real close to the wall because you wouldn't have any tubes or pipes back there.

Skimmer recommendations are wide around here. One name that pops up alot is EuroReef and NW Octopus. Do a search for them and read all you can.

·
11,345 Posts
Ps. Skimmer recommendations for a 90 gal? Quiet, easy and monster cleaner being key.
BM-160 $450

if you want to spend half that then a Octopus NW 200

Like DArth said...skimmer opinions can vary.......that would by my recommendations

Getting the tank already reef ready to start would be a HUGE plus as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I didn't get the 90 gallon yet, I can easily have the store pre-drill it for no a minimal to no charge if I remember right. But, as far as the opening goes..that's the most avail. space (the other side is used and the items can't be stored elsewhere -rescue meds and neb<RESCUE meds>).
Working with really tight spaces. Currently the stand is holding my 55 gallon fresh with 2 emperor 400's hanging off the back (the filters are up against the wall and the tank sits nicely on the stand leaving about 3 inches of stand overlap in the front).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Definitely make sure it's drilled ;) That should be plenty of space for a sump.
Okay, drilled it is. Exactly where can i find a sump to fit the above specified measurements? And what exactly goes in the sump? Pretty clueless when it comes to this. Would like to keep as much as possible out of the tank obviously and quiet is another biggy.
Got stand, plan on tank, hydor inline 300 watt heater, test kits & hydrometer, RedSea Wavemaster Pro, Salt, Paletta Book, 260 watt coralife Lunar for lighting, plan on going with live rock and ?live sand substrate, gonna need the ro/di yet, power strip for the numerous plugs, digital timer...anybody want to add anything to the list?

Also, links to those skimmers you made mention of?

·
11,345 Posts
Okay, drilled it is. Exactly where can i find a sump to fit the above specified measurements? And what exactly goes in the sump? Pretty clueless when it comes to this. Would like to keep as much as possible out of the tank obviously and quiet is another biggy.
Got stand, plan on tank, hydor inline 300 watt heater, test kits & hydrometer, RedSea Wavemaster Pro, Salt, Paletta Book, 260 watt coralife Lunar for lighting, plan on going with live rock and ?live sand substrate, gonna need the ro/di yet, power strip for the numerous plugs, digital timer...anybody want to add anything to the list?
Lose the live sand notion. Just get new dry sand. it will become live soon enoough on its own.

that space we can make work, although it would be easier and better if you would move your rescue meds(whatever that is) to somewhere else and get a bigger sump. We need to figure out what skimmer you are going ot go with before you have someone build, or you build your sump. The BM 160 besides being a far better skimmer than the octopus option, will also have the smallest footprint and the easiest to make work in the small space

And to be sure...simply drilling the tank doesnt solve that issue. You will need to somehow have a overflow box installed in the tank as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where can I find the bm 160? link? ANy recommendations on easy to use ro/di that will hook to garden hose? what would be a powerhouse of a skimmer for a 90? Someone told me to get the remora pro and hang it on the back of the tank since it's profile is 2" and it's quiet? Opinions on where to go with the skimmer?
Picking things up here and there and hoping to start setting things up before the holidays:fish:

·
11,345 Posts
where can I find the bm 160? link? ANy recommendations on easy to use ro/di that will hook to garden hose? what would be a powerhouse of a skimmer for a 90? Someone told me to get the remora pro and hang it on the back of the tank since it's profile is 2" and it's quiet? Opinions on where to go with the skimmer?
The skimmer is going ot go in your sump and the BM 160 will skim better than 3 remoras hooked to the back, sides AND front of your tank.

RO/DI- you can buy cheaper, but by the time you upgrade to proper filters and a membrane you will ahve spent more than just dointg it right in the first place

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~YSP1315.html

skimmer here

http://www.reefgeek.com/product/Bubble_Master_160_Protein_Skimmer_by_ATI

however.......If you order from ed @ he can get one to you fster than reefgeek being backordered and it wont be any more expsnsive and customer service is second to none. he works through reefgeek actually

http://home.wwdb.org/kmaintl/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Can't thank you enough for the links. Making a checklist as I type.

I was looking at a site that gave the measurements for tanks, I saw that a 5.5 gallon measures in at 16" x 8" x 10". Would definately fit in my tight space, but wondering if it will be big enough to use as a sump?

If it is possible to use as a sump, the skimmer linked won't fit (too wide by 1/2") since it measures 7.5" x 8.5" x 20.1"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, have pictures. how do you insert picts if you don't have a url and just have them stored on your pc (op sys is vista)?:confused:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

first off, it will be tight to be able to have anything in the tank by the holidays. it can be done, but it will be close. when setting up a SW tank it is a good idea to let the tank sit for 2 months running with just LR in it. this gets the bacteria and YOU going before the critters are added. DO NOT USE DAMSELS to cycle a tank.

pictures of the inside of the cabinet would be very helpful. you will not need any meds for the tank. when something gets sick you just have to hope that it fights it off. when corals are involved most of the medicines you can use will kill the corals or something else in a reef tank. this is unfortunagely what keeping a reef tank is. :(

a 5g tank will not work as a sump. think in the neighborhood of at least 20g. you can get them custom made out of acrylic if you need be.

how quiet does this tank need to be? skimmers are noisy, just the nature of what they do. as for flow. if quiet is of utmost concern you will need to use a Velocity T1 or T3 pump depending on water flow. i will guess a T1 would be a proper flow fit. as for tank flow you will need propeller pumps. Koralia's are good, Tunze are the best. you can also get the new off the shelf mods for Maxi-Jet pumps.

as for the pics you can post them into the TRT Photogallery.

G~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts