The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know folks we have a tendency for 'complacency' in our lives......So many take for granted where they live. And yet there's others who can only dream of seeing the sights, smells, sounds, and feels of what others are how-hum about.

We have people from all over the world on here......different backgrounds, cultures.....abilities to see things others miss.
I'll admit it's hard to describe to someone what you're seeing...hearing.....feeling/sensing....smelling....tasting. REALLY HARD! Describe the endless horizon of undulating waves stretched before you on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean to someone who's only known mountains.....

I'm bored, shall we give this a go?

Picture yourself as a 'tourist' that has longed their whole life to visit your location.....not just peer over the railing of that huge hole in the ground in Arizona and say something like.....That's a big hole! Make someone 'taste' that hot dog on Coney Island on a hot September afternoon.......a sunset from Fishermen's Wharf....

Pictures of course are important.....but so is the 'story'....a memory from your youth growing up there.....something that's made your location 'home'.

Who's up to this.....
Hack

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmmmm, stage fright? OK, I'll start.

I was born n bred on the South Jersey coast. Born and raised right on Lake's Bay in Pleasantville, and have spent the past 50+years within a stone's throw of there. One of my earliest stories I'd hear my parents recanting to me and my younger Brother is how from our kitchen window they saw their two toddlers being drug out into the bay hanging onto the tail of a 'breeding string' of Horseshoe Crabs......locally known as 'King Crabs'.
Beach Sand Terrestrial animal Arthropod Parasite

Atlantic City, and Ocean City(NJ) are our 2 local beaches, with a whole string of them heading South down to Wildwood.
But it's our 2 local beaches that my memories have been formed around. As I was growing up and in my teens, a group of us would either hitch hike or take the local NJ Transit bus to Atlantic City bus terminal on Arkansas Ave. From there a 3 block walk to the beach.....which was near the North end of the world famous Atlantic City boardwalk.

We spent countless hot summer days lying on those HOT white sandy beaches.....in the shadow of the Million Dollar Pier.

Sky Window Building Rectangle Font

There were 3 famous piers here in Atlantic City, the Steel Pier probably being the most famous, with the Million Dollar, and Steeplechase a close 2nd.

A 'day in the life'......("Summer of my Freshman year, just got out the day before for summer vacation.")
Hitch hiked the 10 miles from our neighborhood to Atlantic City. A red convertible Cadillac picked us up....white shag carpet, the 8'track was playing the Beach Boys 'Help me Rhonda', and having a grand ole time. As he dropped us off, I made mention that there was smoke coming from the back seat of that gents car......the head of someone's cigarette evidently found it's way in the breeze of the drive into that furry carpet. yeah, we didn't wait around.

Did a quick change in the wash house on NY Avenue, and made a wild dash to our spot on the beach....white beach sand in June get HOT! One simply doesn't walk.
Heads buried in our arms laying there working on our tans with the smell of Copperton Suntan lotion as thick as the salt air, and food smells from the boardwalk.
'FUDGE.....FUDGEY WUDGIES......come get your ICE COLD FUDGEY WUDGIES!' We all twisted our heads looking at each other.....THAT VOICE.....We ran over to it not just because of the frozen fudge cicles, but cause who the voice belonged to.....our Math teacher. Not only did we learn teachers 'work' when off for the summer.....but they're real people. COOL!

Photograph Water Hat Shorts Wheel

The FUDGIE WUDGIE MAN!("Math teacher extrodinare")

At lunch once again making that crazy dash up to the boardwalk, with the sand several hours hotter by now. All the places to grab a cheap lunch, one of our favorites was Nathan's HOT DOGS! There was a 'chef' working there.....a tall older gent wearing 'coke bottle glasses'. He'd flip that long hot dog up off the grill, through the air, and catch it EVERY TIME on an awaiting bun......I think we went there not only for the food, but to watch him. I will to this day on occasion buy a pack of Nathan's hot dogs and grill of boil them.....nope, don't really care for em.....BUT those on the boardwalk with all the sounds and smells of the boardwalk right behind us....AMAZING!

We'd spend the afternoon actually going in the surf by now.......ice cold water.....but the heat of the day radiating up off that white sand am edit enjoyable. Wading out to your waist you could feel the undertow pulling the wet sand across your feet.......standing still long enough your feet would become buried to the point it actually took a wee bit of effort to take a step.

After about a half hour of getting cooled off, our blankets were a welcome relief. With an occasional snow cone, or 'FUDGIE WUDGIE' for refreshment we'd lay there till about 3:30, so we could catch the 4pm bus back home. Didn't want to take the chance someone in a red Cadillac convertible picking us up.

Yeah.....this will be tough! Just this little 'snip it' wore my finger out.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,431 Posts
Very cool HACK, I will have to breakout my book and put some parts here. Can’t do it all because I haven’t finished pass my teen years, lol

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hamstrung with this new silly Apple computer.....can't find access to a lot of my photos, so have to hunt n peck 'stock' pics from years gone by.

But I hope a lot of new faces jump on the band wagon...
Hack

·
Retired Wanderer
17,478 Posts
Just noticed this thread. Wish I had something to contribute. Let me think on it.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just noticed this thread. Wish I had something to contribute. Let me think on it.
I always looked forward to the morning thread Perry when you'd share a picture of the Colorado mountains.....just saying,
Hack

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
661 Posts
OK, I’ll have a go. I reserve the right to stretch it over a few instalments as time goes by. Being employed in the hospitality industry for over 20 years Hack left me no real choice but to reply here when he mentioned tourists.

I was born and raised in the Niagara region. Vineland Ontario is where I grew up and my parents still live there.

The Niagara Peninsula is the chunk of land between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and is bordered by the Niagara River and my American cousins to the south. The major
feature of the region is the Niagara escarpment. An escarpment is basically a one sided hill. A major change in elevation between two flat surfaces. The Niagara river falling over this is Niagara Falls.

The escarpment is also the reason the Welland Canal was built. Shipping for anything from any Great Lake port US or Canada has to go through it. It is an exceptional feat of engineering and as a teenager we used to go there to watch boats from all over the world go through the locks. It used to be common place to throw coins up to those working on the ships and they would throw coins back. I am not sure where my little bag went but I had coins from all over the world. Sometimes the crew spoke English and a quick conversation was had. Sometimes not and the universal language of a smile and a wave conveyed your well wishes.

The Niagara Escarpment is also a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. It is also the end point of the Bruce Trail. That was my play ground and at 10 I would head out before dawn to be hidden somewhere and watch the forest wake up. I used my grandfathers WWII side pack and had it loaded with breakfast and lunch the night before. Once the sun was up I had a spot I would usually make a fire and some bacon and eggs looking out over the farm land to Lake Ontario a couple miles away. The time of year, the weather, or the day of the week was irrelevant; being in that place was all that mattered. Actually, being “with” that place may be more accurate, it had a personality and feel that was like being with a friend.

I live in Niagara Falls now. My wife was raised here. My house is about 3 miles as the crow flies from the falls and I can see the column of mist rising up most days. The hotel is a 1/4 mile from the falls and you can hear the roar from the roof.

My house is on the western edge of the 1814 Battle of Lundy’s Lane battlefield. There are many many 1812 sites here. The Treaty of Ghent that ended those hostilities in 1816 resulted in what is now the longest undefended border on the planet but in reality we are basically still at war with the US and only under a cease fire. I don’t think those hostilities will flare up any time soon.

That should do it for now. I will put in another instalment in a while.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THAT is awesome Rick! Though now I gotta get my history books out.
It's bloody hard narrowing this down to just on 'snippet' to talk about ain't it. NO reason at all as another pops into our heads not to jump back in here.
Hack
("HOLD YER FIRE!")

·
Registered
661 Posts
It sure is Hack. Even just the process of remembering those things brings back memories that make it well worth the effort. Glad I had a place to put those. Many stories left to tell.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mind was going a mile a minute .........mind wanted to put in much more nitty gritty details but my SLOW TYPING FINGERS didn't concur. Winter break is coming when Y'All's got to put up with my ramblings.
Hack

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ok. Since Hack is happily in dry dock for the winter I will bump his thread to help him pass the time.

I have mentioned the creek where I grew up as a boy a couple times here. I took these pics last weekend after checking in on my folks.

Cloud Sky Natural environment Road surface Natural landscape

Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface Slope

Water Sky Twig Natural landscape Branch

This is 20 mile creek. Half a mile down stream this opens up into Jordan Harbour and half a mile later empties into Lake Ontario. The trees end just around the corner in the bottom pic and there is a large silt bottom marsh full of bull rushes and catfish. Bass are good too and there are some big pike in there if you can get out there in a canoe. The stream has a rocky bottom and a major spawning ground for trout and salmon. There is a herd of deer in the area and due to it being in a valley they are a permanent addition that never wanders far.

This is where I learned to track and my love for the outdoors was cemented here. It was not uncommon to be weighed down with a heavy pack as I always had fishing gear and wouldn’t dream of going into the woods with out binoculars and a field guide. Of course a frying pan and bacon and eggs added to the weight. At one point I had gear hidden in the woods so I didn’t have to carry it back and forth.

The Canadian rock band Rush was just on the rise in these years. I was a fan from the start. They were “local”. Usually considered a Toronto band. Drummer Neil Peart who joined the band for their second album was from Port Dalhousie a few miles away. His cousins went to high school with me and they were a real thing in my world before they were even a thing.

He was their most prominent lyricist. One of my favorite songs was Red Barchetta. It tells the story of a man in a dystopian future where gasoline engines are outlawed. He sneaks to his uncles farm and goes out in a Red Barchetta just for the thrill of driving it. He is found out and chased by the authorities. He looses the “air cars” at a single lane bridge. I found out years later that this was the bridge he had written about. He had also come here often and the winding road to the bridge was a popular “run” in any souped up cars of the day.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As soon as you said 'creek' I automatically jumped right to thoughts of 'bass'. And with the more you added the more I drifted into 'your head as though being there'. WELL DONE!
Hack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts