The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reviewing prices and space blah blah blah (You know all the depressing parts of the process) I think I will end up with a 93g 30x30x24. I did look at a 150g but myself and the Mrs. will end up in the 93g it looks like.

So while we are still debating choices :) I figured I would toss a line out for some ideas so we can better decide the soon to be upgrade.

93g 30x30x24 Tank
Will be some softs but probably run it split with some SPS or all SPS to start.
Will be a Bare Bottom tank with custom black HDPE base and maybe fused HDPE rock pedestals for maximum poo removal!

Stock that is coming from the old tank.

2 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Tuxedo Urchin

"Own may return to display. Currently in Nano Prison"
1 Cherub Angel Fish
1 Porcelain Crab

"Wife favorite fish list"
Tangs of course lol have to list or she might shank me :p
Banghai Cardinals

Now what would other options would work in well for this tank setup :)

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya tang is not going in it just lusting to prevent bodily harm :)

Thought they werent reef or invert safe. Will have to look at them again.

Options to look at are always good :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
The one wrasse that would be an issue (( besides the obvious non-reef safe one )) would be a mystery wrasse, which aren't shrimp safe.

Over the years I have had at least 4 fairy wrasse, and 1 flasher in reef tanks, without issue -- SPS, zoas, clams, anemones, and a few LPS (( don't keep many LPS, my dwarf angels love them )).

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know. Stayed away from wrasse awhile back due behavioral issues.

Considered a Midas bleeny also.

Having trouble judging stocking limits for some reason on this tank

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also to note really considering a Ritteri Nem but researching them heavily due to how hard they are to keep. But it will eat up a good deal of room

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think that they are great fish (( the wrasses )), almost an eloquent swimmer.

Never had a midas blenny, but I am a fan of my golden sailfin blenny.

Yeah, the gallons of that tank versus the size would make it tougher to stock.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Also to note really considering a Ritteri Nem but researching them heavily due to how hard they are to keep. But it will eat up a good deal of room
The hardest part is finding a healthy one. At least it would be on top of your rocks --- the highest point of your tank -- so that should leave some open space. However, they do get huge.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hardest part is finding a healthy one. At least it would be on top of your rocks --- the highest point of your tank -- so that should leave some open space. However, they do get huge.
Yeah it may not happen, its going to come down to finding a good one and being well prepared to care for it. Really till the tank is up and going and aquascaped then I will look if I think I can get it in a happy spot and give it enough room. Its a down the road goal

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that they are great fish (( the wrasses )), almost an eloquent swimmer.

Never had a midas blenny, but I am a fan of my golden sailfin blenny.

Yeah, the gallons of that tank versus the size would make it tougher to stock.
Pretty much avoiding large free swimmers and staying to a decent social atmosphere. Its the down side to a cube is more room for varying swimming areas, but limits the over all distance you can have between fish. (Say when a clown hosts a coral in middle lol.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Longer is not much of an option. 36x36 was max for 2 spots. but cost for the 36x36 bit costly (price doubles) plus cleaning ect is rough in that large of a cube. Looks awesome though.

Yeah my Cherub was Waring with my clowns in the 20x20 so not sure on what the deal was. I think it was mainly the tank room was limited for areas to swim and the clowns hosted to all the mushrooms which are kind of scatter around the tank..

Considered a Flame with the Cherub angel, since the cherub loves small spaces and odds are they would not have issues.

Think the Flasher Wrasse is a definite forgot about that guy, could of swore they weren't shrimp safe for my cleaner.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I also like the clown gobies. They are a smaller fish, but I will always have them in a tank. I have the green ones now, gonna put the yellows in the new tank.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also like the clown gobies. They are a smaller fish, but I will always have them in a tank. I have the green ones now, gonna put the yellows in the new tank.
Read they can cause a lot of issues with corals since they use polpys to make nests of sorts. That and possible clown aggression but have not hear much more on them

But love the looks of those little guys.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My green's like the leathers, they seem to stay in them. Haven't seen them mess with clown's or vice-versa. They are fun to watch, they don't swim really they look like they are hopping in the water.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yeah its one my wife really likes. Another that I think is a good addition.

2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cherub Angel
1 Flame Angel
1 Midas Blenny
1 Flasher Wrasse
2 Cleaner Shrimp

Not to bad of a spread not sure if more would be good or not space wise.
More options are always great. Really liek Chevron Angels but cost is to much for me.

·
Registered
715 Posts

Yeah my Cherub was Waring with my clowns in the 20x20 so not sure on what the deal was. I think it was mainly the tank room was limited for areas to swim and the clowns hosted to all the mushrooms which are kind of scatter around the tank..
IME with C. argi is that the smaller the tank, the bigger the attitude that they will have. Think the bigger tank would be fine with yours and a flame.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IME with C. argi is that the smaller the tank, the bigger the attitude that they will have. Think the bigger tank would be fine with yours and a flame.
Yeah think it was just a proximity thing. He's in a 20g next to my display and can see the other tank and wants to get to it. Not sure if it's because he sees the gramma or more rock to pick at

1 - 20 of 20 Posts