The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well day 8. No traceable amounts of ammonia, trite, or trates. Hmmm, expected at least some. I know the rock was from other systems as well as some of the water and bought live sand. I suspected the test kit but the nano did have .25 ammonia (star died). I'll keep watching it. No cyano yet either. I guess I shouldn't complain but surely I would get a mini cycle. Do larger systems need time to build up waste or is the mr1 just doing it's job?

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Jena,

The tank is looking great! I assume the rock is helping, but I would expect a small cycle if I were you. My 90 like yours started off really clean like yours no ammonia, trite or trates, and then about 10 days into it it exploded with diatomes, red slime, and hair. At week 4 all the red slime and brown slime were gone. Now I have a tank that is cycled with hair all over the place! I have a small clean up crew in there (Tank is 5 weeks almost 6 now) and in two weeks I will add a kit from IPSF. Can't wait to see more of the tank!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was wondering if it just takes longer. Waiting, Waiting, just keep Waiting!

·
Registered
107 Posts
you may never see (should not)any amm in a tank with cured LR. Cured LR will have no die off to start a cycle. The cured LR will have enough bacteria on it to take care of the waste caued by the small eel and damsel in the tank. When I set up my 55 I used 55 lbs of cured LR and never had any cycle and had a very small diatom bloom. So don't hold your breath waiting, it may never happen. Which is a good thing.....
Are you going to add more LR over time? If you plan on having lots of fish or large fish you will need something to help with the bioload in the tank. LR is the best filtration we can have in a tank IMO.
Also red slime is not always part of a cycle, it comes when your PO4 level is high and your flow is on the low side. Never had RS in my new tanks, only in the tank when it was several years old and my water quality dropped.
keep us posted on the tank.. Its so much fun setting these tanks up..

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I will be adding more lr. It just the cost of the amount of rock I need makes it to where I will have to do it in stages. I will be getting it cured and rinse of very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts