The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 1,215 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Geoff- we already know what color stain. Mainly because we have lots of it left over from oth3t projects on the house. I think we agreed on a design last night. So should be starting on it in the next day or so.

On a side note how high off the tank typically do the LED lights with 80 degree lenses get mounted.
The lights should be here Thursday I have been holding off on finishing the canopy base because I didn't know how high the lights should be.

Depends on the spacing of the diodes, but I would generally say about 8"-18"... If the diodes are spread, it can be lower but if they are clustered, then higher.

OK

Here is a 24 diode array with 60 degree optics over my old 40B. So I needed more spread which resulted in it being nearly 24 inches over.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
OK

Here is a 24 diode array with 60 degree optics over my old 40B. So I needed more spread which resulted in it being nearly 24 inches over.
I am hoping i dont have to mount them that high off the tank. Really hoping somewhere around 12 " be good:arg:

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Couple of new pictures. Got a 29 gallon tank the other day from pet store and turned it into my sump. Got some acrylic from Lowe's and had them cut it down to size for my baffles. I had a similar setup when I had my 72 gallon reef back in the day.

The spacing is 1.75" between them and 2 " off the bottom for the middle one.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I plan on running around a 2" sand bed in this tank. I am debating for my rock to sit on egg crate, modified PVC with holes drilled, or directly on the glass.

Any suggestions?

I want the sand to go around the rocks after they are in. Just in case some critters decide to dig a tunnel around the rock.

Good work on the sump. Man, I always forget how tall a 29g tank is, but it swallows the skimmer!

I would opt for some small platform if going more than an 1' thick. I actually use some rubble-sized rock as a platform for the "show-sized" rocks. Thus, when I swap out the sand, I can also toss out the platform-rubble rock without worry and save the main rock from holding detritus.

Heck, maybe find someone who has those maricultured discs left over and use them for small platforms. I am making my own "brownie-sized" plugs that could do such a think but they are still at least 6 weeks out for curing.

I am hoping i dont have to mount them that high off the tank. Really hoping somewhere around 12 " be good:arg:
I don't think you need to... those were 60 degree lenses covering 18x36". 80 degrees covering 18x24 is going to be a lot smoother.

wow, great progress.

in the past when doing baffles or any kind of underwater acrylic work, i have found it swells quite a bit. did you use 1/4" or 1/8" acrylic for the baffles?

i have my LED's about 8" above the tank and it works well. i also do not have any lenses on the LED's for now. i may try with lenses if i get to much bleed over.

have you tried the TRT Gallery since they fixed it?

G~

wow, great progress.

in the past when doing baffles or any kind of underwater acrylic work, i have found it swells quite a bit. did you use 1/4" or 1/8" acrylic for the baffles?

i have my LED's about 8" above the tank and it works well. i also do not have any lenses on the LED's for now. i may try with lenses if i get to much bleed over.

G~
Actually, IF you know the rockwork design, I would consider removing the secondary lenses over the highest rock work (all of our available LEDs have integrated 120 degree optics). So, Geoff's suggestion isn't bad. Thus with the varied optics, you do not have overly "hotspots" at the top of the rockwork and can hopefully get a little bit of extra spread.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Good work on the sump. Man, I always forget how tall a 29g tank is, but it swallows the skimmer!

I would opt for some small platform if going more than an 1' thick. I actually use some rubble-sized rock as a platform for the "show-sized" rocks. Thus, when I swap out the sand, I can also toss out the platform-rubble rock without worry and save the main rock from holding detritus.

Heck, maybe find someone who has those maricultured discs left over and use them for small platforms. I am making my own "brownie-sized" plugs that could do such a think but they are still at least 6 weeks out for curing.
Thanks FutureDoc
Yeah those 29 gallon tanks are taller than i remember also! I will look for some small rubble pieces for the base of the rocks.

Discussion starter · #53 · (Edited)
I don't think you need to... those were 60 degree lenses covering 18x36". 80 degrees covering 18x24 is going to be a lot smoother.
Time will tell.

The LEDs came in the mail this afternoon. Going to be building them over the next few days.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
wow, great progress.

G~
Thanks Geoff

I used 1/8" baffles. I had the guy at Lowes cut them slightly smaller than i needed so they have room to expand/swell.

I forgot TRT had a gallery. I am going to start to upload the pictures there now since they wont be resized like attachments do.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Actually, IF you know the rockwork design, I would consider removing the secondary lenses over the highest rock work (all of our available LEDs have integrated 120 degree optics). So, Geoff's suggestion isn't bad. Thus with the varied optics, you do not have overly "hotspots" at the top of the rockwork and can hopefully get a little bit of extra spread.
thanks for the insight on this. I will keep that in mind and decide what to do.:beer:

I would agree, it is a LOT more fun.

Dang, I just keep wanting to build a new array. Uggg. My next MH bulb order is going to be tough.

Uggg. My next MH bulb order is going to be tough.
what bulbs do you need/want? i have several you can have. most do not have that many hours on them. i have both some 175's and 250's in various brands and K's.

G~

41 - 60 of 1,215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.