The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
OK

Here is a 24 diode array with 60 degree optics over my old 40B. So I needed more spread which resulted in it being nearly 24 inches over.
I am hoping i dont have to mount them that high off the tank. Really hoping somewhere around 12 " be good:arg:

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Couple of new pictures. Got a 29 gallon tank the other day from pet store and turned it into my sump. Got some acrylic from Lowe's and had them cut it down to size for my baffles. I had a similar setup when I had my 72 gallon reef back in the day.

The spacing is 1.75" between them and 2 " off the bottom for the middle one.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I plan on running around a 2" sand bed in this tank. I am debating for my rock to sit on egg crate, modified PVC with holes drilled, or directly on the glass.

Any suggestions?

I want the sand to go around the rocks after they are in. Just in case some critters decide to dig a tunnel around the rock.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Good work on the sump. Man, I always forget how tall a 29g tank is, but it swallows the skimmer!

I would opt for some small platform if going more than an 1' thick. I actually use some rubble-sized rock as a platform for the "show-sized" rocks. Thus, when I swap out the sand, I can also toss out the platform-rubble rock without worry and save the main rock from holding detritus.

Heck, maybe find someone who has those maricultured discs left over and use them for small platforms. I am making my own "brownie-sized" plugs that could do such a think but they are still at least 6 weeks out for curing.
Thanks FutureDoc
Yeah those 29 gallon tanks are taller than i remember also! I will look for some small rubble pieces for the base of the rocks.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
I don't think you need to... those were 60 degree lenses covering 18x36". 80 degrees covering 18x24 is going to be a lot smoother.
Time will tell.

The LEDs came in the mail this afternoon. Going to be building them over the next few days.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
wow, great progress.

in the past when doing baffles or any kind of underwater acrylic work, i have found it swells quite a bit. did you use 1/4" or 1/8" acrylic for the baffles?

i have my LED's about 8" above the tank and it works well. i also do not have any lenses on the LED's for now. i may try with lenses if i get to much bleed over.

have you tried the TRT Gallery since they fixed it?

G~
Thanks Geoff

I used 1/8" baffles. I had the guy at Lowes cut them slightly smaller than i needed so they have room to expand/swell.

I forgot TRT had a gallery. I am going to start to upload the pictures there now since they wont be resized like attachments do.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Actually, IF you know the rockwork design, I would consider removing the secondary lenses over the highest rock work (all of our available LEDs have integrated 120 degree optics). So, Geoff's suggestion isn't bad. Thus with the varied optics, you do not have overly "hotspots" at the top of the rockwork and can hopefully get a little bit of extra spread.
thanks for the insight on this. I will keep that in mind and decide what to do.:beer:

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I got all plumbing done. Tank filled with salt water and everything circulating. Started working on the canopy.

The tank is at 68F so I have a heater that should be here Wednesday.

The LEDs are all soldered together. Now trying to decide where to mount the power supply and drivers. Either under the stand or on top of the canopy.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Heat rises.
Yes it does. So is under the stand a bad idea ?

Very nice!!!

I have always preferred a slow return (matching my skimmer) and strong powerheads for in tank flow. I really like Tunze, they make a quality product that can be relied on. I use a 6105 myself, but that's because my tank was originally SPS. If I bought today I'd get something smaller.

Whiskey
Thanks ! I ended up ordering the 6045 last night so we will see how it does.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Looking good!

+1 on mounting the drivers on top of the canopy. I actually mounted my drivers on the top-rear of my of 40b. Worked well.
Thank you.

Ok that is settled then. The drivers and power supply will be mounted on top of the canopy. Should be tall and back far enough where won't be that visible

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
UPS came today. I was excited the tank heater I ordered was delivered. I opened it up started to read the directions and went to put in the tank. Then I noticed it was only a 200 watt heater not the 250 I ordered. Contacted Amazon to see what happened. They are now resending me the correct one and I already dropped the wrong one back off at ups.

Now for some reason the 2 day prime shipping won't get the replacement here till Tuesday. I guess 2 days is now 6 days who knows.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
I went to HD & Lowes today got some supplies to finish the canopy and stand.

I got the canopy 90 % done

I just need to add a top to it with a hinge so it can be lifted up. As of right now I do not plan on adding doors to the canopy like i will for the stand.

Now got lots of sanding and wood staining to do.:thumbup::freak:

Not sure if i will get time to work on the stand today. I plan on wrapping it in thin plywood with the same trim pieces as the canopy at the top and bottom of it.

21 - 40 of 632 Posts