The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 50 gal for about 2 years and feel the need to upgrade. I purchased a used 90gal with a cherry base and canopy. I cut all the silicon out and applied new silicon. Ran a 20amp duplex to the new location. Built my first DIY sump. Water tested the system for 24 hours. It's been up for 2 weeks now with a couple of pounds of live rock and a scoop of live sand from my established tank. The used tank came with 100 pounds of live rock, that I've been cooking in a container with a heater and water pump. Trying to be patient with transferring my old tank. I'll list out my new equipment below. I'm making a shift to a reef aquarium.

2 Aquatic life Led fixtures 72 watts per fixture

Tunze wave make

Koralia pumps

Eheim 1262 return pump

SWC 160 protein skimmer

Tunze auto top off

2 BRS reactors 1 for carbon & 1 for gfo

2 dosing pumps for cal and Alk

Digital aquatics reef lite controller

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
As others have mentioned - things are looking good! What livestock are you considering moving over?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One Blue Tang, 2 clowns, frog spawn and couple of green mushrooms. Not sure I'm transferring the corals though haven't made up mind on Lps or sps.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I feel your pain on the LPS vs SPS dilemma. Struggling with that now myself - the solution may be two tanks :)

Dunno how long before your blue tang will outgrow the 90 - I think they are listed as 150 or 180 minimum tank sized fish.

But how exciting!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'll ave to enjoy the Tang while I can. I think my wife will leave me if I don't get rid one of my tanks. Although I would turn my entire living room into an aquarium if I could.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
LOL - I hear you there

I was talking about a 240 gallon and having to have a contractor check the floor to see if he could handle the weight and setting up a 75 gallon sump in the basement pumping water up to the DT with a water mixing station downstairs...

she just walked out of the room shaking her head.

Seemed normal to me :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the same thoughts. Floor will only support what I have without reinforcement. LOL only marine people would understand. Still thinking about doing a mixing station in the basement. Great thing about this hobby there seems to be no limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts