The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently setup a 90 gallon marine tank with only fish right now. It's been only 3 weeks. I intend to keep corals in the coming months. My tank specification is 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft. Please suggest how many wave maker I should have? what specifications should they be? what direction do I need to point them? Currently I just have 2000 litre/hr JVP-110 that I took it from my 13g nano tank. Please help

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You aren't cycling it with fish are you or are you using the live rock and fish from the nano?
I have been cycling the big tank with new live rock and live sand. added required dosage from super battle bacteria 8000 once every few days with some fish food. after 15 days, i checked the levels ammonia-0 ppm, nitrite-0 ppm, nitrate-20 ppm. since there was nitrate i concluded that nitrogen cycle was over. then i took the hermit crab from nano tank and put into the big tank to see how it is doing. it was doing ok. two days later, i took the bubbletip anemone and carpet anemone along with one live rock to which was attached from the nano tank and put it in the big tank. Then after couple of days, i bought 5 fishes and put them in the big tank. It's been a week now, the fishes are doing well. The ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-20 ppm as of yesterday.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
A lot of people on here recommend at least 40 time tank volume in circulation pumps.
get more than one so you can move them around to get rid of any dead spots. (where detritus settles)
You also need one at the top to agitate the surface to promote good gas exchange.
The Maxspect Gyre and the Jacod cross flow are good wave makers. One of them and a couple of other power heads might be enough to get good circulation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people on here recommend at least 40 time tank volume in circulation pumps.
get more than one so you can move them around to get rid of any dead spots. (where detritus settles)
You also need one at the top to agitate the surface to promote good gas exchange.
The Maxspect Gyre and the Jacod cross flow are good wave makers. One of them and a couple of other power heads might be enough to get good circulation.
Thanks for providing specification. I will get two wavemakers to begin with and set it up and see how it performs as pwr your suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.