The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight with help on my 90 gallon reef tank. I set this Tank up back in July did proper cycling about a month later added a few fish some Xenia and a yumi mushroom. I don't normally add corals this soon. For about two months the corals were doing good look great. I recently added protein skimmer within three days I noticed that the Xenias were dying and the mushroom closing up. Since then I I've also noticed snails crabs and shrimp dying. All basic water parameters are with in normal. I have moved all the coral back into my 46gal and the seem to be doing fine. I eventually want to move everything into the 90. Please help!!!

90gal
All glass sump 20 gal with bio balls
Coral life 125gal protein skimmer
Current 300watts aqua sun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitrates levels are good. But yes I have heard that they are bad to eventually raise nitrates. Any insight to what else may be going on. I has one person tell me that the skimmer has pulled all the good elements out. And that I should dose with something like reef builder.

·
Nano Reef Keeper
797 Posts
It is possible that the skimmer could have made the water much cleaner in a short amount of time that shocked the corals. Xenia and other soft corals are often considered to like "dirtier water." Do you have any other corals in that tank? Are you doing anything differently in the 90 that you aren't in the 46?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was kinda one of my thoughts I had placed a small piece of star polyp in there and it also did not do well it wasn't as full as normal. What would be a suggestion to try. I've cut the skimmer off about three days ago and plan a water change this week. Should I try dosing with reef builder or something similar and when would be the time to hook the skimmer up I just don't want to start putting things back in and they die. The only other thing I have besides the Xenia and mushrooms is the star polyps kenia tree and RTBA.

·
Nano Reef Keeper
797 Posts
How does the anenome look? I would not put any of that in the water but thats just me. Ive found the more you put in the water and try to be real finnicky with parameters, the worse the tank looks. I would say keep up on frequent water changes with good salt, this should keep your params up. In my experience, tanks with frequent water changes do much better than tanks where i have dosed a bunch of products- again just my experience.

·
Registered
870 Posts
At first I thought about the clean water theory but at three days old a new skimmer usually hasn't even broken in yet. And the cl125 isn't that efficient. Did you get lots of skimmate. If it was due to the skimmer them the best thing to have done was leave them alone and they would have rebounded in a coule of days. By moving them back and forth your never really going to know if they are re-acclimating or there is something actually going on with the system.itself.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Nitrates levels are good. But yes I have heard that they are bad to eventually raise nitrates. Any insight to what else may be going on. I has one person tell me that the skimmer has pulled all the good elements out. And that I should dose with something like reef builder.
Reef builder is meant to raise your carbonate alkalinity, that is all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not moved the RTBA at all it's still in my 46gal. Yea I understand not moving things back and forth the Xenia and mushrooms completely died so the only thing I moved was the star polyp. And yes I agree the skimmer didn't have time to break in but I was getting good skim. Only thing is I noticed all this that third and forth day. This is my first larger tank and first experience with a sump before I've never had problems just lost on this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts