·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I love this fourm. Today my 90G tank will be set up. The tank specs will be:
90 Gallon Side drilled overflow painted blue background
Nova Extreme T5HO 8 Blub 4 10K 54W, 4 54W actinic,4 moonlight LED’s
30 Gallon sump (15-20 Gallons water capacity)
Mag 7 return pump
Aqua C EV180 skimmer
Koralia 3 Pump for additional flow.
Coralife 18W UV sterilizer
I hope to post some pics as thing come along. Right now just waiting for the LFS to drop off the equipment.

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is up and running, salt has been added and at this point is pretty clear. I plan to add 100 lbs of live rock on Tuesday (That is when the LFS gets delivery). I currently have 40lbs of Aragonite sand (live sand, if that is possilbe :)) Should I add the sand after I put the LR in, or wait some time for the cycling/full cureing to happen ?

After the cycle I had planned to add some small hermit crabs and snails. Any recommedations on the amount and mix (Red leg, Blue leg) would be appreciated.

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Live rock has been added. 100 lbs of Fiji LR. I think it came in excellent condition. I took it straight from the delivery boxes as the LFS charges $3.50 a lb if you do. However they opened both boxes with me and we check each rock to make sure it was not just rubble and low quality. The rock smelled fresh and looked great. I did a basic scub removing some stuff that did not look so good. The water (removed from the tank) got pretty dirty. It has been two hours and the water has cleared nicely (for the most part). The skimmer kicked in hard. I am for now removing the light green waste as I just can't bring myself to let run back in the tank. I am attempting to add the first pics hopefully the ylook O.K.

Attachments

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Time for an update. Things are going very well (knock on wood) Added the following
20 lbs fully cured LR
3 Mexican Turbo
3 Red legged Hermits
3 Blue Legged Hermits
2 TR Pecular Clowns
2 Emerald Crabs
3 small Zoe Frags

about 2 weeks ago had farily good diatom bloom. The turbo's made short work of that. Following that a pretty small green hair algea break out, which cleared on it own, but the Emeralds cleaned up most of what was remaining and pick some bubble algea away also. Nitrates got up to about 15 ppm. but the last two 15 gal water changes have got them below 10.

One real nice upside is hte Coraline algea is growing great, which is a bit of a suprise as the tank is still young, but it has begun encrusting on every piece of LR. Some real nice purples. I hope the pic's show it.
I plan to hold off on anything additional livestock for a couple of weeks just to make sure everything remains stable.

Attachments

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lights are the same. I did not get my Clowns in the first one. They just won't sit still. They seem to have too much fun racing against the current from the Koralia 3 from one end of the tank to the other. When I get a few more corals in I will take a pic of all the lights and one of just the actinics. However the Zoo's look really cool when just the actinics are on. My last reef tank (12 years ago) had two MH and two actinic's and the best view IMO was in evening with just them on. It always stunned a new viewer the first time, like a 60's poster under a black light :).

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O.K I lied. I bought two Peppermint shirmp today. The little Aiptasia that I can't get with lemon juice or Joe's Juice are just driving me nuts (and stinging the zoe's). I hope the Pep's will fest. If not then a least help out the as part of the CUC.

I did do a 15 w/c today, and will do another this weekend.

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh no ! tank had developed a crack. It is the most odd place. Starting under the black plastic lineing on the left side about 4 inches from the back. It is current on the outside of the tank and not yet leaking. This is disapointing and feels like a step backwards. The tank has just got over the last diatom bloom and is looking really good with crystal clear water 0 Nitrates and a bright white sand bed. Some small spots of coraline algea (a very nice rich purple) is starting to develop on the back glass and the rocks get more coraline growth each day. It looks like this weekend will be spent doing a transfer. Any tips or recommendation would be welcomed.

I had recenly added a good sized Leather tree coral, small rock of Green mushrooms, Orange spotted Sleeper Goby, and about 10 nassarius snails. Added over about a 2 1/2 time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts