The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old son and I are setting up our first reef tank. Planning on adding water this weekend. Here's what we got and what we've done so far.

75 gallon tank with 20 gallon custom made sump.

• Lived on the BRS (and others) YouTube channel for about 2 months learning
  • Custom made the sump 2 weeks ago (I'll post pics when I figure out how) lol
  • Drilled 3 holes for 1" Bulkheads and added overflow box in the tank this week
  • Plumbed the tank 2 nights ago (including about 4 separate trips to Lowe's)
  • Ran dedicated 20A electric circuit with to the tank
  • After the first RO/DI filter came damaged, the replacement arrived yesterday and I promptly started making water.
  • Plan is to add sand, about 120 lbs. dry rocks (plus 1 live rock I received from another reefer) and water later today

Couple of questions I have for the group:

1. When should I get my refugium up and running?
  2. I'm planning on using Chaeto as well as dry rock in the fuge. Should I use sand as well? How much rock should I use?
  3. I'm planning on adding a protein skimmer and carbon reactor in about a month or so, after the tank has cycled for a bit. Besides a foam filter to catch particulants, any other sort of filtration I should add from the get go?

I'm open to any and all suggestions because this is our first go round with this.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Welcome Redswine to TRT!

Do you like red wine or are you Red and like wine ;)

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I'd skip the refugium and just use the sump for filtration but others run them. My sump has a filter sock for the inbound water line and also a foam like filter between the baffles.

As for sand, that's a choice of two things - 1) personal taste and 2) how much maintenance you wanna do. I like sand so I went with a thin sand bed to reduce the maintenance and nutrient trap.

What's your plan for the cycle? Many people throw a piece of store bought shrimp in instead of using a fish. Also, many say feed the tank like there's fish in the tank.

Anyway, good luck on your build! Oh, and as for pictures you need 5 posts and then when posting from your computer make sure you are in Advanced mode and scroll down to the Manage Attachments section to upload. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im new myself only flaw i could see and this again being from what i see and have learned is, that is a lot of rock wanna leave some space for growth, and i would stagger them big base and like a hill so the lights hit the rock good for when you got coral and fish

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the rock work, did you build your stand or buy it? On a side note how come your heater is in the display tank, I've had good luck with my heater in the sump, it looks prettyer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The stand came with the tank, luckily. The heater is in the sump now. I forget why it was in the dt, but it was always temporary.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,362 Posts
Way cool looking, and sounding......sorry this got past me till now, but will be looking in and keeping track now. Thanks for sharing. Love the whole 'Father/Son' part! Our's is a family thing also.....brings a different level of enjoyment to the hobby. All the best,
Hack
P.S.
Agree with Mark, we need more pictures......PLEASE!:agree:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll get some more pics up later today. Thanks for the interest, guys. Been such a learning experience. Despite the hours and hours of research I did ahead of time,I had no idea. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts