The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 125 RR tank last night. :banana:

Question 1:

I have had a few heater problems with the 75. A heater stuck on and almost cooked everything in the tank. I want to put two heaters in the sump this time. What would be a good wattage that would barely heat the water if one stuck in the on position?

Question 2:

I have a MegaFlow Sump 4. The tanks two overflows are rated at 600 gph each. Will a Mag 9.5 handle both overflows?

On aquascaping: Do most of you stack your rock against the back or try to keep the tank walls clear of any rock? I currently have mine stacked against the back wall.

Still deciding on what to do for the bottom: SSB, DSB or BB.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Tagging along...I want answers to some of those same questions...

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
well the pump should be able to keep up with movement since its only going to pump the same amount of water to come through the overflows. The only problem one would have is of the pump was too strong and the overflows cant keep up. I try not to stack anything close to the back wall so I can get back there to clean, plus itll give you a clear path so help with water movement.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Answer 1: you might want to look into a reef controller of some sort (check out the ReefKeeper II ~$300 w/pH probe). The heater is run directly through the controller and has an automatic shutoff if the controller senses the temp getting too high

Answer 2: You want to keep the aquascaping away from the sides of the tank for a few reasons: One of which is maintenance. You need to be able to reach back there to grab a dying fish or coral before it decays and causes an ammonia spike. Secondly, flow, flow and flow. If water can freely move arond the tank, the chances are less that there will be a 'dead spot' that collects detritus and will generally be a food source for lots of nuisance algae.

I am in no way an expert, but these are the things that I have learned from this great site!

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually got all of the plumbing hooked up last night. At least to the point that I could add water. I put a few cups of RO/DI in the overflow compartments last night to check for leaks. So far so good! Since this is my first RR tank are there any other things I should check before I begin filling?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts