The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt find a section for tanks between 20 and 150 gallons, so I'm posting here. I currently have a 75 that uses an external overflow box. I can get a brand new all glass 75 reef ready tank with stand for $299. Would it be worth upgrading? Would it be worth moving everything to the new tank from what I have setup right now?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Depends. Are you having an issue with the external box?

I don't prefer external boxes but I'm not sure if I would tear down a tank just to change it unless it's giving you problems. A properly setup and maintained external box can run reliably. I'd still go reef ready when buying a new tank everytime though.

If your going to swap tanks, why not upgrade. A 90g tank will fit the same stand and use the same equipment. Lighting may be the only issue but that little bit of extra height is nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got 6x54w t5 ho's. Will that be enough for the taller 90 gallon? Also, how much more weight will that add to the floor with that much extra water? I may actually call and see how much extra that tank would be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is 299 bad for a 75 pre-drilled all glass plus stand (my choice of color)? two of them... hmmmm! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking about getting it. When I build my house, I'm gonna put a 75 reef in wall in my office (I work from home 3 days a week). I will want a pre-drilled and what better time to do it since its on sale! :) Plus my HOB overflow is real noisy.. I dont like that.

I was waiting to decide based on whether or not a guy wanted my old tank, but I may buy it before then. If said guy doesnt want my tank, any suggestions on what I should do with it? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts