The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 75 gallon. It is fairly new. I am planning on adding some more live rock to it, but was wondering exactly how strong is the bottom. I dont want the bottom to fall out or anything like that. If i add some more live rock i will probably have about 115 lbs of it (this include all of it, even the stuff thats already in the tank) . Do you think that the bottom will hold up. I dont want to have to deal with a tidal wave in my family room. Any thoughts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The bottom is tempered glass (I believe). In any case, it is plenty strong to hold all of the live rock you want and sand too. Someone else will chime in soon if I'm wrong. Just make sure the tank is properly supported

Hoang

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
The bottom should be able to hold the weight with out any problems. Some fresh water fish keepers put eggcrate underneath the rock and sand to disperse the weight evenly. However, I probably wouldn't try this in reeftank.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
As long as you have the proper stand/support for the tank (an official aquarium stand or equivalent) it will withstand the weight. The bottoms of the all glass aquariums are thick and made to hold the rocks, sand, water (at almost 8 pounds a gallon!), etc......it will be fine!

HHC

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks. yeah i have a "official aquarium stand" thats plenty strong. I was just double checking cause i didnt want to have hurricane katrina inside my family room. thanks again.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill post pics as soon as i can...

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cameras charging

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
does anyone know if there has ever been an experiment of.... the amount of water the rock displaced, does it weight more or less than the rock itself, i would think the rock weighs more, but you never know....

but yes, your fine with what ever rock you can fit in there. the bottom shouldnt break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts